The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Not all Napa Wines are syrupy and oaky! Havens Winery, Yountville.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Not all Napa Wines are syrupy and oaky! Havens Winery, Yountville.

by Brian K Miller » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:15 pm

Revisited one of my favorite wineries today-Havens immediately south of Yountville (near Elyse).

Some highlights:

2002 Merlot Carernos Reserve-Very dark in color. Balanced mouth feel, not a mess of oak here! Still young, bgut some lovely black and red fruit, with already a hint of secondary flavor development-could this be like the Farella Park I posted about in ten years? No harsh green pepper like some Carneros Merlot. 3.5* with strong upside potential!

I did not buy the Merlot, however, because the 2002 Havens Hudson Vineyard Syrah was remarkable. A new vintage for me, this is definitely a "French" style, with nice meaty notes and bacon and savoryness on both the nose and the palette. Some minerality on the nose and the palette, too. It's amazing that this is their current release-many Napa wineries are already releasing 2004s or even 2005s. The age does not mean it was kept swimming in oak for a long period, though-this is a winemaker that knows his stuff! . Delicious wine 4*

2004 Cabernet Sauvignon. This was a very nice wine, also. Black in the glass with soft black fruit and a hint of savoryness. A very balanced, medium bodied Napa Cab-very drinkable with food. 3*+

2002 Bourriquot (Merlot/Cab Franc) Compeltely different nose and flavor profile with the hit of bell pepper and violets from the Cab Franc. Interesting , intellectually, but I prefered the Syrah and the straight Merlot. The Cab Franc comes from Carneros, too, I believe. 2.5*???

Havens remains one of my favorite hidden gem wineries. Nice people, too.