The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Esporao Vinho Branco Rerserva 2005

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Esporao Vinho Branco Rerserva 2005

by Bruce Hayes » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:11 pm

DOC Alentejo, Reguengos.
Made by Finagra.

A blend of Roupeiro, Arinto and Antão Vaz.

Golden yellow color.

Very big and rich, spicy, pear, lemon, soft and juicy grapefruit, honeyed, lightly peppery, well balanced oak treatment.

This is the second time I have enjoyed this wonderful wine and this was as yummy as I recall the first bottle being.

Purchased at $17.95 (Canadian).
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Esporao Vinho Branco Rerserva 2005

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:28 am

One of my white wines of the year..again! Love this wine with my fave renouned crab cakes. The red can use some cellar time Bruce if you see it around.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:47 pm

Just opened my last bottle of the `02 Bruce. Too chilled right now but I can see this is gonna be good. Will dig up my notes here (archives) somewhere and post asap.
Bruce, have you seen the red out your way?

http://www.esporao.com
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:43 am

Wow, you sure do like to dig deep in the vault for old WTNs Bob.

Yes, I think the red has shown up here in Ontario. I just did a search and there isn't any currently available.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:00 pm

WTN: `02 Esporao Vinho Branco Reserva.

My third and last bottle. Color has a little more gold showing but still plenty of lemon tones. looks quite attractive, clean and inviting.
On the nose, more quince this time around with peach. Hint of spice after an hour. Nice, no sign of falling apart. Very expressive.
The oak influence no longer here on the palate. Nice creamy feel however. Zippy finish, lemon, great acidity, pineapple, pear, honey without being sweet. Nutty by the second glass, finish still showing its stuff!!

Food was chicken breast stuffed with mousse of shrimp and salmon. Creamed mushroom sauce perfect for this wine.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri May 08, 2009 8:58 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:Wow, you sure do like to dig deep in the vault for old WTNs Bob.

Yes, I think the red has shown up here in Ontario. I just did a search and there isn't any currently available.

Hi Bruce, David Baverstock from Esporao was in town today and the wines offered were the `07 White as well as a terrific `05 Red Reserva.
David says that his high end wines should be available in Quebec next time you visit. Does Vintages have anything since your last post?
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Fri May 08, 2009 9:48 pm

I've had reservations about trying this wine after reading tasting notes along the lines of "tastes just like a Portuguese Chardonnay....". Must be the oak treatment? Some of those grapes are pretty nice on their own without the oak - if you see the Alorna Arinto it is worth trying. Maybe i will need to try the Esporao Branco based on your note......
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri May 08, 2009 9:59 pm

Joe, I am probably going to pop a bottle when I return from my S Alberta bird counts starting next week. This `07 has seen some new oak btw. In a way I can understand the chardonnay reflection but let it open out and we`ll see!
How much do you expect to pay? $29 Cdn up here.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Sat May 09, 2009 9:54 am

Just checked a few local wineshop websites and it looks like the '06 Branco Reserva runs $14-$16 here. There is also a shop that I frequent that has the Branco Private Selection for $19. The three tasting notes I could find on the latter all mention huge amounts of oak, so I won't be rushing to try that one. I think Esporao is shooting for a more 'international' style than I seek in Portuguese wines.