The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spätlese Kerpen Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Germany.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2001 Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spätlese Kerpen Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Germany.

by Bob Ross » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:01 pm

2001 Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spätlese Kerpen Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Germany. $24.99, Beekman, Glen Rock.

Deep gold color, clear hue, lovely aromas and tastes of tropical fruit and honey, spicy notes with hints of botrytis, with flinty undertones, light acidity, reminding me of a note by David Schildknect on another wine: "There is more than enough of acidity wound into the fabric of the wine like springs set to release on cue over the next couple of decades." Just delightful. 5*.

Notes:

Beekman: "Discrimination is a terrible thing. Yet many good people who wouldn’t think of discriminating against minorities freely discriminate against German wines. “They’re sweet!” Well sometimes yes, but that’s not the point. The point is that the better German wines pair much better with food than do oaky Chardonnays. And they come in numerous styles ranging from surprisingly dry to sticky sweet, so you can choose the style you like. And their characteristic acidity balances what sweetness they have. And, despite the common misconception that white wines do not age, the better German wines develop beautifully for many years and exhibit balance, complexity, and extremely appealing nuances. This six-year old wine is essentially a library selection."

An amazing bargain.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2001 Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spätlese Kerpen Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Germany.

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:05 pm

Who is Beekman?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:10 pm

Top flight local retailer in Glen Rock, New Jersey. Joel Mitchel is the owner -- teaches wine courses -- a model of a neighborhood wine retailer, and Joel writes most of the copy for a really useful monthly newsletter containing specials, reviews of BYOB restaurants, other wines, and a wine article.

http://www.beekmanwine.com/
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:15 am

I got a few of these sitting down. Many thanks for your notes. Will pull one to try soon
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:24 am

Count me in the camp of those who think German wines are underappreciated in the USA. I started getting into wines with Piesporter wines and the like when I lived in Germany after completing my Master's degree. They are very versatile food wines and also nice as aperifs or dessert wines (depending on the sweetness level).