The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: The Pain in Spain

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

WTN: The Pain in Spain

by Bruce K » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:36 pm

Finishing a long backlog of notes . . .

Bodegas la Serrana 2001 Bierzo Mencia Altos de Nunez, $6
The nose is dominated by barnyard but not unpleasantly so. On the palate, this is exceptionally tart, perhaps even tomatoey. The overall impression is that it’s a bit odd. Perhaps I let this sit too long; I liked earlier bottles better. At any rate, it’s much better with food than without and goes quite nicely with a Mexican-style salad. The next day, the barnyard is gone from the nose but the tartness — even sourness — continues and is out of balance with not much else showing up

Bodegas Riojanas 1999 Rioja Puerta Vieja Crianza, $12
This smells and tastes as though the winemaker was much too heavy-handed with the oak. I wonder if they changed their winemaking practices, as previous vintages of this bottling were much better and more balanced. Beyond the oak, there is decent red fruit, earth and spice with good acidity. Decent match with paella and shrimp. The next night, however, the oak seems more integrated, a bit better. Importer: Vintage Wines, Staten Island.
no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

Re: WTN: The Pain in Spain

by Victor de la Serna » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:58 am

Bruce K wrote: $6

What else did you expect?
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce K » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:16 am

What else did you expect?

I guess this is my Duhhhh! moment. At any rate, I had bought four bottles, and generally liked the first three -- certainly, they were good values. However, I had found them a bit tannic and figured I'd give my last bottle a couple of extra years; turned out to be a failed experiment, but it was a cheap one.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:13 pm

Bruce K wrote:I wonder if they changed their winemaking practices

*DING*
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce K » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:20 pm

Yeah, I'd read comments from Manuel about Riojanas ruining the Monte Real Reserva, which also has been one of my favorite Riojas, but I didn't know if they did the same to the Puerta Vieja Crianza. I guess I learned the answer, though unfortunately, only after buying quite a few bottles of the 2000 through 2002. What a shame.