The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Seems to be a night for Malbec! Elizabeth Spencer 2004 Napa

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Seems to be a night for Malbec! Elizabeth Spencer 2004 Napa

by Brian K Miller » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:49 am

If I had to pick a "favorite winery," Elizabeth Spencer, a small husband and wife team with a tasting room in Rutherford might be it. It seems they cannot go wrong!

The 2004 Napa Valley Malbec was just beautiful tonight (with steak and even seafood). Some colleagues joined me for a pre-meeting dinner in Vallejo. decent food (but pricey for the quality). Evereyone kept going back to the bottle for a little more wine. ..yep, a little more. :lol:

I'm not sure Jenise would like this, but the wine was full of flavor.

A nice rich purple color. Some good fruit on the nose with a little high tone sharpness not evident on the palate. Rich blackberry and blueberry, but it didn't really taste over the top-it was still balanced. I keep saying this about good Malbecs, but the wine TASTES PURPLE. I just can't describe it in any other way. :lol: There were some pretty big tannins-the first sip or two had the teeth coating feeling, but they seemed to relax by the second glass.

The wine was not all fruit, it had that nice fuzziness I like in Petit Sirah and Malbec. There was also a distinct brief bitter note on the finish that frankly did not bother me but just provided a unique extra flavor. Some may consider it a flaw? My only criticism might be the wine does have a short finish, but overall, I would easily give it 3.5 or even 4* Bravo!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Seems to be a night for Malbec! Elizabeth Spencer 2004 Napa

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:54 am

Brian, spot on! That bitterness on the finish? Have noted that in the past when drinking from Argentina. On this forum, great things from this winery has been noted.
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: WTN: Seems to be a night for Malbec! Elizabeth Spencer 2004 Napa

by Alejandro Audisio » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:13 pm

Great post Brian, thanks for sharing..... I wish I could try some of this stuff against a few Malbecs from Mendoza & Salta... 8)
Alejandro Audisio - drink wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes!!!
ITB in Buenos Aires, Argentina