The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Is Virginia For Wine Lovers? Pt 5: AmRhein Wine Cellars

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tony Fletcher

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:56 am

Catskill Mountains

WTN: Is Virginia For Wine Lovers? Pt 5: AmRhein Wine Cellars

by Tony Fletcher » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:59 am

From Tuscany to Germany in under thirty minutes: following my illuminating tasting at Villa Appalaccia, in southwest Virginia, I drove further up the Blue Ridge Skyway to AmRhein, which translates easily enough as “On The Rhein.” The web site tells you that the owners, being of Teutonic descent, “specialize in unique Virginia-style wines with a German influence,” but in reality, the closest AmRhein comes to producing a German-style wine is a Traminette, and that’s a hybrid. Otherwise, AmRhein offers a little bit of everything, and yet not enough of any one thing to suggest it has a true focus.

In addition, and this is not a complaint as much as a mild disappointment, AmRhein was the only winery of the six I visited in Virginia where I did not get to meet with one of the owners and/or winemakers. This should certainly not be held against my pourer, who was most helpful and eager to please. But, in an almost comic continuation of my whole Virginia wine-tasting experience, he readily offered up (without my asking!) that until recently, he’d considered himself a beer drinker with only a preference for heavily oaked wines. To his credit, he’d come to work at AmRhein largely to educate himself, but he couldn’t help suggesting that some of the wines would benefit from even more oak than they already had. I enjoyed his company but, given the huge variety of wines on show, I might have preferred that of someone who could really tell me what went into them all – and, more to the point, why they went for them all in the first place.

(I understand that AmRhein serves as contract growers for some of the smaller local producers; presumably they can’t resist the temptation to keep some of each grape for themselves.)

I started with a Pinot Grigio 06, which I found had a good solid lemon-apple flavor but was nonetheless a little heavy. As a great fan of Sauvignon Blanc, and not seeing it elsewhere on my travels, I jumped eagerly into this wine (no vintage note) but was immediately repelled; rather than the “new Zealand style and the terrior (sic) of Virginia,” I got a wooden taste. I don’t know whether I was poured from an old bottle or whether it had oak treatment, but either way it was shocking. I then took a brief sip of an 03 Chardonnay and made the note “Not happening.” (I should have skipped it entirely based on the tasting sheet’s description: “vanilla and buttery French oak notes.”)

Much more interesting was the 05 Petit Manseng, a grape one rarely sees bottled on its own in its native France, let alone in Virginia. The aromatic nose threw up immediate comparisons to Viognier, though it was a little more creamy on the palate, perhaps a result of being barrel fermented. In only its second vintage at AmRhein, this might be a wine to watch, if they can tame the oak.

In fact, maybe they just throw the oak out entirely when it comes to the white wines. The 04 Viognier, freshly opened on my behalf, suffered from barrel fermentation and ageing, a treatment that doesn’t work unless you really know your Rhône routes and roots. (See upcoming post on Valhalla.) Here I was, five wineries into my Virginia tasting trip and my first Viognier - Virginia’s signature white wine and my favorite blanc grape - was drowned in wood. Maybe another year they’ll let the fruit sing instead.

Somewhat more honest was the Saffire, a “harvest medley of Chardonnay, Vidal Blanc and other white wines” which I noted was very bright and crisp and acidic and probably not a bad deal at $11. (The next vintage will apparently include Viognier rather than Chardonnay.) The Traminette seemed interesting, with some natural residual sugar hanging around (and a reference on the tasting sheet to the “German Spätlese style of winemaking”). I got a lot of pineapple and grapefruit up front, which impressed me, but then I got a foxy taste on the back, which canceled that positive impression out. You can dress a hybrid like a vinifera but when you get it naked, its still a hybrid.

So far, so bad. But as I found elsewhere on my travels, Virginia seems to be making more interesting red wines than it is whites. The 2005 Aglianico, for example, was “not quite as ‘purple’” as the 2006 barrel sample I’d just tasted up at Villa Appalaccia (“purple” being for me not just a color but a whole flavor profile), but still showed what I noted was a “strong nose of plum and black-currant.” It was clearly lighter and more acidic than the Villa Appalaccia barrel sample, but nonetheless had that distinct Italian bitterness. There may well be a market for this grape in the region. At $15, not a bad wine.

The 2005 Chambourcin asked the same price, which seemed a little high to me for such a generously productive hybrid. I noted that it was “light and peppery” and that it grows at a height of 2500 feet, the highest altitude of AmRhein’s three vineyards. A 2004 Merlot proved very aromatic, quite serious in its intent, with generous plum flavors on the nose, but something of a tart and lean finish. Much more rewarding was the 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon which, like West Wind Farm’s example before it (and I couldn’t help but wonder, is this where West Wind gets most of its Cabernet grapes?), was much better than I thought it had a right to be. The wine was a very dark deep red, with a real plumminess, some evident blackcurrant, and a strong cedary aroma. Definitely a big, full-bodied Cab rather than your typical north North American wimp.

Yet that said, my pourer freely admitted that the Cabernet Sauvignon vines are currently in a state of disaster, buried under their canopies and shade and fighting for nitrogen, and that whatever was recommended as a solution by their consultant had only compounded the problem. The likelihood was that the vines would fail to produce a crop in 2007 and might be pulled up thereafter. Given similar tales of woe from elsewhere regarding this grape, there’s clearly a quandary taking place in the region: Cabernet Sauvignon appears to be an absolute bitch to grow, but is capable of delivering surprisingly serious wines. Watch this space, I suppose.

Similar problems appear to be befalling AmRhein’s other illustrious red grape, Syrah. They’ve planted five acres of it, but have not yet felt sufficiently satisfied as to bottle it solo. The 2005 Melange, therefore, is a blend of 60% Syrah and 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, the balance made up with Petit Verdot, Merlot and Cabernet Franc; the 2005 Veranda is a more equal blend of Cab Sauvignon and Syrah, with just a splash of Petit Verdot. (And yes, that does make eight different red grapes already on the tasting sheet to add to the seven white ones!) Yet had I not known that AmRhein was struggling with the vines, I might have thought all was well with the actual wines: they were both smooth on the palate with big coffee-cocoa textures. Though I either didn’t get or was beyond being able to notice the Syrah influence, I was nonetheless impressed, and certainly not insulted by the $20 price tag.

Last on the list was AmRhein’s “signature wine” (their own term), a 2005 Petit Verdot, the Bordeaux grape that (like Petit Manseng) all too rarely shows up on its own. I was suitably impressed by the immediate notes of plum and violet and its full-bodied texture as to pick up a bottle. Opened recently at home, I noted that the nose was “quiet,” yet on the palate, “tons of dark fruit but bright fruit too” showed exuberantly. There was considerable acidity to the wine – something I’ve noticed of all the reds I brought back home with me - and “toasty oak” at the back end. As the wine gained in temperature and air (we may have opened it a little too cool), so the floral aromatics appeared, and all was right with the world. In conclusion I’d describe it as a “warm” and “sociable” wine that we were as happy sipping pre-dinner as we were having accompany an eggplant based pasta dish. Petit Verdot typically needs very warm climates and ripens late in the season; given Virginia’s problems with Cabernet Sauvignon, it seems something of a risk to ask it to do its job down there and yet AmRhein has clearly got this grape under control. Kudos – and maybe reason to revisit some of the other reds another time.

I skipped the semi-sweet red-white Ruby blend but enjoyed a couple of dessert whites. The 2003 Late Harvest Vidal Blanc had a dark caramel color, some toffee and tea notes, and a good unctuous body to it. It’s a taste I generally, genuinely enjoy, but I was hard-pressed by this point to compare it to other $25 late-harvest wines from the east coast. I would offer the same guarded endorsement of the brand new 2006 Ice Wine, Vidal picked in October, then stuck in the freezer and bottled in July. I gather that wine-maker Steven Bolleter was excited to get this opportunity, and for my part I was certainly impressed by its tropical fruit profile and light touch.

Ultimately, it’s obvious that AmRhein is growing far too many varietals and bottling far too many different wines to be viewed as a serious contender. And yet there are hints of real promise here, especially in the reds, which take to their oak much better than the brutally-handled whites. Let’s hope AmRhein is learning from its own experiences; it would be interesting to revisit in a few years and see whether the wine list is that much shorter in length, and that much higher in quality. In the meantime, someone bring me more of that Petit Verdot.
"Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter! Try again. Fail again. Fail better." S. Beckett
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Is Virginia For Wine Lovers? Pt 5: AmRhein Wine Cellars

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:19 pm

Petit Verdot seems to be the grape capable of becoming a star red for Virginia. I've had another really good example at Veritas.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:36 pm

Much more interesting was the 05 Petit Manseng, a grape one rarely sees bottled on its own in its native France, let alone in Virginia.

Expect more and more of this grape out of Virginia. Its seems to do well on the East Coast and is finding its way into more and more vineyards.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

by Brian Gilp » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:41 pm

Petit Verdot seems to be the grape capable of becoming a star red for Virginia. I've had another really good example at Veritas.

The PV that Linden was crushing last week tasted great. The berries were small and the tannins ripe. It was from the Avenius vineyard and per Jim Law cropped out at only 2 tons per acre on Geneva Double Curtain.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:44 pm

Sounds good. I have not yet tasted Petit Verdot from Linden. Looking forward to it. Have you had the Veritas version?

I've liked the Horton Petit Manseng in the past.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

by Brian Gilp » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:52 pm

Have you had the Veritas version

Not yet. Hopefully soon as it is on my short list of Virginia wineries still to try. Actually it is my short list.

Try the Linden wines when you get a chance. Most of the PV is used in vineyard blends but is shows through. The Avenius that is for sale now is I think the most PV focused at 70%PV and 30% CS. He also makes a 100% PV from dried grapes - forgot the technical term but Amarone style.

Petit Manseng is refered to around here as a growers grape. You can essentially abuse it and it still seems to perform well. Think it was Dennis Horton who when talking about growing grapes in Virginia said something along the lines of Petit Manseng seems to actually benefit from all the rain.
no avatar
User

Tony Fletcher

Rank

Ultra geek

Catskill Mountains

by Tony Fletcher » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:07 am

Thanks everybody for sharing extra information about the two "Petit" grapes. I had a sense that Petit Verdot was taking off a little in Virginia, was less aware of Petit Manseng. I'll watch both with interest. As ever, it's hard to get a perfect perspective on a winery during a quick tasting while being concerned about driving, but I hope I got the spirit of the place across.

A question for you fans of Horton: why does such a pioneering winery have such a God-awful web site? Seriously, nobody expects every country winery to have a Napa-style interactive FLash site, but the reality is, it's 2007 and perception is reality and a lot of people, myself included, use a winery's web site as a means by which to decide on a visit. If I didn't know Horton's wines had such a good reputation, the site would scare me away!

http://www.hvwine.com/

Especially as I'm criticizing AmRhein for making 15-20 wines and Horton advertises "over 40 wines to choose from" up top of its site.
"Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter! Try again. Fail again. Fail better." S. Beckett
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:24 am

Tony Fletcher wrote:A question for you fans of Horton: why does such a pioneering winery have such a God-awful web site? Seriously, nobody expects every country winery to have a Napa-style interactive FLash site, but the reality is, it's 2007 and perception is reality and a lot of people, myself included, use a winery's web site as a means by which to decide on a visit. If I didn't know Horton's wines had such a good reputation, the site would scare me away!

Precisely. Among the more geeky, I imagine reputation and word-of-mouth will be the draw (indeed before my first visit, I fully expected the tasting to be conducted with those little plastic cups). I suspect that Horton's website is an artifact of the earlier demographic in Virginia wine-tasting and wine tourism--and I imagine that a good number of Virginia wineries still have to attract that non-regular-wine drinking public into their doors.

I, for one, cannot stand the Flash-approach to websites that employ terms like premium, boutique, and, my favorite, limited-quantity. Can anyone tell me a winery that makes wines in unlimited quantities? Now that such websites are recognized by consumers as signaling that the winery is 'serious', they actually reflect much more a concern about marketing than about winemaking, in my experience. [For example, compare the websites of Blenheim and Kluge and then follow up with a visit to each--I think it will be clear who focuses more on marketing and who focuses more on the wine].
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:42 am

Tony Fletcher wrote:A question for you fans of Horton: why does such a pioneering winery have such a God-awful web site? Seriously, nobody expects every country winery to have a Napa-style interactive FLash site, but the reality is, it's 2007 and perception is reality and a lot of people, myself included, use a winery's web site as a means by which to decide on a visit. If I didn't know Horton's wines had such a good reputation, the site would scare me away!

http://www.hvwine.com/

Especially as I'm criticizing AmRhein for making 15-20 wines and Horton advertises "over 40 wines to choose from" up top of its site.

I could ask a lot of questions about Horton. They were at one time the head of the pack, but IMO they have fallen far behind & the massive number of wines is to me a chief reason. I wish them the best, but think that until they prune their selection they will have issues and not just with the website.
no avatar
User

Tony Fletcher

Rank

Ultra geek

Catskill Mountains

by Tony Fletcher » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:02 pm

Keith M wrote: Can anyone tell me a winery that makes wines in unlimited quantities?

Yes: Yellowtail.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:19 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I could ask a lot of questions about Horton. They were at one time the head of the pack, but IMO they have fallen far behind & the massive number of wines is to me a chief reason. I wish them the best, but think that until they prune their selection they will have issues and not just with the website.

I guess my perspective is a bit different. In my exploration of the Virginia wine scene, they came out near the top of the crop. Certainly I would agree that in their portfolio of 40 plus wines, there are a bunch of losers. Nonetheless, I was impressed time and again with their offerings that I did like, many of which are either unique and unusual in the Virginia wine scene or pioneer wines that really shaped positive developments in Virginia wine. Petite Manseng, Vidal Blanc, Viognier, Cabernet Franc, Nebbiolo, Norton, and sparkling Viognier are ones that I recorded that I enjoyed when I drank them. They also made one of the most drinkable fruit wines from raspberry, that was actually refreshing and a pleasure to drink rather than just sip. Yes, there are a number of wines which are lazy, geared toward sweetness, and the like (along with a particularly nasty do-not-put-in-mouth sparkling Rkatsiteli I once had---ugggh). Certainly other producers offer most consistency across their whole portfolio (eg, Blenheim, Barboursville, Linden, et al), but Horton offers some of the best values in Virginia wine. Chrysalis had a better Norton, but it was something like $30 (a number becoming far too common in Virginia wine) whereas Horton's perfectly respectable Norton was $12. Their cab franc was a similar value, not as delicious as Barboursville's upper 20s/low 30s reserve, but it was $12.

So, yeah, I agree there's a lot of deadweight in Horton's portfolio, but I don't feel like it is sinking the ship. I more think of it as the cost of having the innovative madman of Dennis Horton running the place. I would find it hard to believe that place has ever made a profit. Anyway, my two cents . . .
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:05 pm

Kieth, how long has it been since you had Horton wines? I would have to agree with David on this issue. I really Like Horton and they do well, but they have stood still while other winemakers have moved ahead. If Dennis were to focus on what does well, Horton would do better. My suspicion is that Dennis Horton LIKES to tinker with the odd varietals and so produces a varieties of grapes.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Tony Fletcher

Rank

Ultra geek

Catskill Mountains

by Tony Fletcher » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:55 pm

Keith M wrote:I, for one, cannot stand the Flash-approach to websites that employ terms like premium, boutique, and, my favorite, limited-quantity. Can anyone tell me a winery that makes wines in unlimited quantities? Now that such websites are recognized by consumers as signaling that the winery is 'serious', they actually reflect much more a concern about marketing than about winemaking, in my experience.

Keith

On a more serious note than my last post (I guess Yellowtail is a drinks producer, not a winery), I hope you didn't misunderstand my point. I was saying that I DON'T expect a Napa-style Flash site from a country winery, but they should at least recognize the changing times and avoid looking so amateur. It's not hard to do. I'm with you in regards to the over-use of marketing terms, but again I'm just saying that any winery that can design a half-decent label should be able to design a half-decent web site. It sends out a message that you know what you're doing. And that's important for those who are not so geeky as to spend their time on a professional site like WLDG where they can get advance tips on which wineries to visit.

Cheers

Tony
no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm

California

by CMMiller » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:06 pm

Brian Gilp wrote:
Much more interesting was the 05 Petit Manseng, a grape one rarely sees bottled on its own in its native France, let alone in Virginia.

Expect more and more of this grape out of Virginia. Its seems to do well on the East Coast and is finding its way into more and more vineyards.

Makes some terrific wine in the Cotes de Gascogne too.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:18 am

James Roscoe wrote:Kieth, how long has it been since you had Horton wines? I would have to agree with David on this issue. I really Like Horton and they do well, but they have stood still while other winemakers have moved ahead.

James,

My last visit to Horton was in early 2006 and my experience with their wines mainly took place between 2002 and 2006. So you and David may have a better idea of how Horton has progressed over time than I do. Nonetheless as others progress, so do the prices of Virginia wines--some to levels I find it impossible to justify. New wineries, especially in the northern parts of Virginia, popping up every year asking more and more money (moving well into the 30s) for wine that I, personally, find it hard to get excited about (recreating California-style wines in Virginia at California-level prices is simply not my thing). I guess Horton is my thing. Innovative, often crazy, different wines and prices that allow consumers to take a chance (with the caveat, of course, that not all of Horton's stuff is cheap, I remember the Viognier being quite pricey).

Tony's posts remind me of visits to many a Virginia winery where I would try wines and appreciate the tasting room experience, but take the wine home and find it flawed due to poor winemaking or just not worth drinking a bottle. Horton was one of the very few producers in Virginia I had in recent years, where I not only bought multiple bottles (it was very rare for me to ever care for and buy more than one bottle from a single producer) but actually recalled enjoying drinking an entire bottle--that's a dang good record for a Virginia producer and leaves Horton in the top tier for me. I like trying new stuff and I like experimenting . . . and Horton really does not seem to me to be standing still. But, of course, opinions vary . . . as this thread shows!