The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Callaghan Vineyards '04 "Caitlin's" - good stuff from Arizona

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

WTN: Callaghan Vineyards '04 "Caitlin's" - good stuff from Arizona

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Picked this up at the winery a while back. It's a blend of 46% Petit Verdot, 31% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 23% Cabernet Franc. Made by Kent Callaghan at his place near Sonoita, in southern Arizona. The label says, "Grown, produced, and bottled by Callaghan Vineyards, Elgin, AZ", so I don't believe any of these grapes were imported. Weighs in at 15% alcohol. Don't remember the price, but most of Kent's wines are around the $20 range. Bottled under screwcap.

Very dark red, verging on black. Nose is spicy and slightly herbaceous, with underlying red fruit character. The flavors run much more towards the spice and herb than fruitiness, with a surprisingly lean character. There's a nice level of acidity and a full mid-palate and no hint of sweetness from either fruit or RS. The finish is marked by firm tannins and good length. I don't get much heat on the palate, but I do get a bit of warmth as it gets further down the pipe.

Overall, this is a really nice wine. It has a higher level of alcohol than I generally like, but it is not the least bit overripe or over-oaked. It's a wine that would go well with a variety of foods. It's not widely available, but if you happen to be southeast of Tucson and can go by the winery or if you otherwise run across it, I'd highly recommend trying it out. I've had a lot of Kent's wines and this is up there with his best.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

Re: WTN: Callaghan Vineyards '04 "Caitlin's" - good stuff from Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:39 pm

%^)

There are quite a number of wine shop outlets in the Phoenix/Scottsdale, Tucson, and Flagstaff areas that carry Kent's wines ... go to the Callaghan website and click on "Buy Our Wines" and you'll find quite a list ... their website also indicates they ship ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:58 am

Good point about the shipping, Bill. We've always bought from the tasting room, but we've always had them ship what we've bought out to us after we get home.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:20 pm

I've had a number of the Callaghan wines, courtesy of friends, never having owned one. Always have been quite good. Thanx for the report on this one.

It's interesting that Petit Verdot is the dominant grape....that's a bit unusual, no?
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:27 pm

James Dietz wrote:I've had a number of the Callaghan wines, courtesy of friends, never having owned one. Always have been quite good. Thanx for the report on this one.

It's interesting that Petit Verdot is the dominant grape....that's a bit unusual, no?

That is a bit unusual, but I think Kent really likes that grape. He's also bottled a varietal Petit Verdot that's quite good. I liked this blend a bit better, though.

- Julia Child