The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Swan PG, 03 Araujo Syrah, 97 Guigal la Landonne

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: Swan PG, 03 Araujo Syrah, 97 Guigal la Landonne

by Jason Hagen » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:28 pm

2005 Joseph Swan Pinot Gris Trenton Station RRV
Got this in the club and decided to give it a taste. This is the first Cali Pinot Gris I have ever tasted IIRC. Probably tried others along the way … but have no memory of them. A cloudy wine at this stage. Didn’t leave standing up for very long. I enjoyed this wine. Nice toasty aromas, coating mouth feel with a bit of acid to keep it just clean enough. The finish is a bit clipped. Can be drunk by itself or with food. 87 pts

2003 Araujo Estate Syrah Eisele Vineyard Napa
Having this next to the Guigal was an odd pairing. The Araujo would not be for everyone. A big oaky sweet syrah. I still loved it. It went there but stayed balanced and the acid even helped it work with the food. Having this next to the Guigal did exacerbate the sweetness. Most at the table loved this until they tried the Guigal. After having the Guigal, some commented how simple the Araujo seemed. Personally, I still found it very complex. I really enjoyed it. Just wish the oak was a little more restrained. Should be around for awhile but ready to go now. 93 pts

1997 Guigal Cote Rotie la Landonne
Wow. What a different beast than the Araujo. This is not about fruit, sweetness and oak … that is for sure. An earthy gravely animal wine. Not to say it is without fruit. It is there and it is somewhat ripe but it is mixed in with a cocktail of complex flavors. I think this was opened way too young. Hope I have a chance to taste in another 10 years. 94++ pts.

Jason
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: WTN: Swan PG, 03 Araujo Syrah, 97 Guigal la Landonne

by Lou Kessler » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:47 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:2005 Joseph Swan Pinot Gris Trenton Station RRV
Got this in the club and decided to give it a taste. This is the first Cali Pinot Gris I have ever tasted IIRC. Probably tried others along the way … but have no memory of them. A cloudy wine at this stage. Didn’t leave standing up for very long. I enjoyed this wine. Nice toasty aromas, coating mouth feel with a bit of acid to keep it just clean enough. The finish is a bit clipped. Can be drunk by itself or with food. 87 pts

2003 Araujo Estate Syrah Eisele Vineyard Napa
Having this next to the Guigal was an odd pairing. The Araujo would not be for everyone. A big oaky sweet syrah. I still loved it. It went there but stayed balanced and the acid even helped it work with the food. Having this next to the Guigal did exacerbate the sweetness. Most at the table loved this until they tried the Guigal. After having the Guigal, some commented how simple the Araujo seemed. Personally, I still found it very complex. I really enjoyed it. Just wish the oak was a little more restrained. Should be around for awhile but ready to go now. 93 pts

1997 Guigal Cote Rotie la Landonne
Wow. What a different beast than the Araujo. This is not about fruit, sweetness and oak … that is for sure. An earthy gravely animal wine. Not to say it is without fruit. It is there and it is somewhat ripe but it is mixed in with a cocktail of complex flavors. I think this was opened way too young. Hope I have a chance to taste in another 10 years. 94++ pts.

Jason

I hardly ever criticize local wines but the Araujo Syrahs are overoaked monstrosities. On the other hand I think their cabs are good examples of what this part of the world can produce. Myself and most of the geeks I know find the Syrahs to be almost undrinkable because of the oak. :cry:
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:07 pm

You must be in the 6 bottle Swan club????

And where are you drinking such fine wines?

Araujo, huh? I'd say I've never had one and that my buds are neglecting me again, but then I'm probably just forgetting that you have poured this for me X times before... :)

And a LaLa?? When am I ever ever going to get to try one of these??? That's right... flying pigs
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:56 pm

I just finished my bottle of the Swan, which I bought when I hit the winery a couple of hours before Rod's Birthday Party in July.

Really gold color. In a Burgundy bottle, so you won't be fooled into thinking it's what it ain't. Reminds me much more of Viognier or Arneis than "what one expects" of Pinot Gris.
My usual terse note: Ripe and rich and golden for PG. Very good wine. Very Californian. Bought at the winery. 14.3% alcohol

On Wednesday, it stood up to a concoction of mushrooms, onions, sour cream and farfalle. Tonight, the remnant was an excellent match with sole wrapped around shrimp and baked with a lemony cream sauce.

I'm heading up to the Wine Country tomorrow -- Anderson Valley, DCV, and some RRV. I bought a case of Swan in July; I may succeed in skipping a stop there.

Or maybe not.

It rained today, and it'll be cloudy tomorrow - I don't know if it'll be raining 100 miles north of here, but I wouldn't be surprised. If it is raining, it'll make the tasting rooms more pleasant. :-)
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:55 am

Lou Kessler wrote:I hardly ever criticize local wines but the Araujo Syrahs are overoaked monstrosities. On the other hand I think their cabs are good examples of what this part of the world can produce. Myself and most of the geeks I know find the Syrahs to be almost undrinkable because of the oak. :cry:

I can see that. Although I am not a huge fan of oak I realize that I overly sensitive to it. It is a bit sad they have done that to the wine.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:00 am

James Dietz wrote:You must be in the 6 bottle Swan club????

Yep.

James Dietz wrote:Araujo, huh? I'd say I've never had one and that my buds are neglecting me again, but then I'm probably just forgetting that you have poured this for me X times before... :)

Not even a Cab? The syrahs are hard to come by ... and I don't have any but I would be happy to share a cab with you.

James Dietz wrote:And a LaLa?? When am I ever ever going to get to try one of these??? That's right... flying pigs

Can't help you here. Zero in my cellar ... and now the prices are ridiculous :roll: I do prefer the other la Las ... I love a touch of viognier.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:01 am

John, thanks for you thoughts on the PG.

Jason