The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Rhones

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

TN: Rhones

by Diane (Long Island) » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:18 pm

It was Dave's birthday and he wanted to drink Rhones. He brought along one white, as well, to our favorite byo.

2005 Leflaive Chassagne Montrachet - the nose showed citrus and mineral, but framed in oak. Creaminess on the palate, good mouthfeel, with lingering finish, but it is so tightly wound at this point. I left some in my glass for the end of dinner, hoping it would blossom into something lovely, but it seemed to close up even further.

2000 Beaucastel - lovely sweet nose, a little herbal, a little floral. Lots of dark fruit with acidity on the palate - beautiful finish with some barnyard showing that seemed to increase as it aired. Much too early to drink this beauty.

2000 Pegau - huge, massive nose with a large dose of barnyard. Ah, some bacon fat and Asian spices showed on the palate with a great finish. Funny how the barnyard subsided on this with air and transferred to the Beau. Both Chateauneuf du Papes were excellent.

1999 Jamet Cote Rotie - at first, the nose was fabulous with dark, ripe fruit...then green olives became pronounced, still making it interesting until it became overpowering. It followed through on the palate, masking the ripe fruit that was tasted moments earlier. Puzzling wine.
Diane
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: TN: Rhones

by Saina » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:51 pm

Diane (Long Island) wrote:1999 Jamet Cote Rotie - at first, the nose was fabulous with dark, ripe fruit...then green olives became pronounced, still making it interesting until it became overpowering. It followed through on the palate, masking the ripe fruit that was tasted moments earlier. Puzzling wine.

That does sound weird. I recently had this again, and it had all the typical warm but not over the top year notes I expect: black olive and a funky meatiness. Off-bottle or shutting down? Thanks for the notes.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:55 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
Diane (Long Island) wrote:1999 Jamet Cote Rotie - at first, the nose was fabulous with dark, ripe fruit...then green olives became pronounced, still making it interesting until it became overpowering. It followed through on the palate, masking the ripe fruit that was tasted moments earlier. Puzzling wine.

That does sound weird. I recently had this again, and it had all the typical warm but not over the top year notes I expect: black olive and a funky meatiness. Off-bottle or shutting down? Thanks for the notes.

-O-

My friend, who brought the wine, said it reminded her of a dirty martini. That ruined it for me - I like olives, but not olive juice, and after that remark, it's all I tasted. Others liked it more than I.
Diane
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:18 pm

Diane,
great notes, thanks

I assume the Leflaive was Olivier (don't think Domaine makes Chassagne)?

I tend to prefer black olive notes to green in Syrah. But don't mind a hint of green olive. But I too have problems when it is pronounced.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:13 pm

Yes, Dale, I do believe it was Olivier.

I quite agree about preferring black olives to green in Rhones.
Diane