The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Double Dare the St. Supery

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: Double Dare the St. Supery

by Redwinger » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:04 pm

A couple of wines from a store tasting this morning:

2002 St. Supery Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa)
I've found previous vintages of this wine at least agreeable in the past. This vintage/bottle came up waaay short. Thin and under fruited, with too much wood/oak for my palate. Also had a green-vegal component..grr.

2004 Dare Cabernet Franc, Napa
Produced by Viader. A big wine that left me pondering what food to pair this with. Nice deep color, full mouth feel with plenty of acids and tannins playing off the plummy/red fruit. Lingering finish. The wine sees some oak, but it is not over powering. Overall a nice (not great) wine that comes up just a bit short in the complexity arena to justify laying out $45 of 'Winger money.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: WTN: Double Dare the St. Supery

by Mark Lipton » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:37 am

Redwinger wrote:A couple of wines from a store tasting this morning:

2002 St. Supery Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa)
I've found previous vintages of this wine at least agreeable in the past. This vintage/bottle came up waaay short. Thin and under fruited, with too much wood/oak for my palate. Also had a green-vegal component..grr.

2004 Dare Cabernet Franc, Napa
Produced by Viader. A big wine that left me pondering what food to pair this with. Nice deep color, full mouth feel with plenty of acids and tannins playing off the plummy/red fruit. Lingering finish. The wine sees some oak, but it is not over powering. Overall a nice (not great) wine that comes up just a bit short in the complexity arena to justify laying out $45 of 'Winger money.

Hey, 'Winger: did you make the J et R tasting today? They were showcasing a producer from Alsace and had the vigneron in tow (Frey-Sohler). Not bad stuff, if my tasting last night is any indication.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:33 am

Mark,
I didn't make it to the J et R thingy. I try to do most of my drinking before noon :lol: . I've had the Frey-Sohler's in the past and agree they can be very nice even if a bit uneven across the portfolio. Plus, they're pocketbook friendly.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:27 pm

Redwinger wrote:Mark,
I didn't make it to the J et R thingy. I try to do most of my drinking before noon :lol: . I've had the Frey-Sohler's in the past and agree they can be very nice even if a bit uneven across the portfolio. Plus, they're pocketbook friendly.

Yeah, I ran into your note on the '05 Riesling, and I agree. It's curious that, of all their lineup, the Riesling struck me as the weak spot.

Mark Lipton