The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Macon, Kremstal, Morgon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Macon, Kremstal, Morgon

by Dale Williams » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:28 pm

With supermarket rotisserie chicken, leftover risotto, and deli coleslaw (why oh why do they have to make so sweet!), a hlaf bottle of the 2005 Domaine des Souchon Morgon. Juicy ripe Gamay, not the most distinctive version, but certainly servicable. Good, but I'd just as soon pay a bit more for a Brun, Desvignes, or Foillard. Although the 375 is nice. B-

With a pork chop braised in white wine and garlic, and more leftover risotto, the 2006 Nigl Kremser Freiheit Gruner Veltliner. Ripe but with good acidity, clear GV character of white pepper and a hint of green peas over sharp apple fruit. Good length for the level, a very good GV. B+/B

Betsy made a quick bouillabaisse last night, I went in search of rosé in the cellar and discovered I've finished all the still ones this summer. Ack! So opened the 2005 Jean Manciat "Franclieu" Macon-Charnay. Clean Chardonnay fruit of red apples with a little flinty note, a funny hint of grass that reminds me of SB. Nice ripeness, but I think I preferred some zippier previous vintages. Still, this is quite nice for the price. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency