The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Brief sips of Douro table wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Brief sips of Douro table wines

by Saina » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:12 pm

Curva Reserva Branco 2006 is mineral and bright on the nose - apparently it does see new oak but that isn't obvious. There is more oak notes on the palate, but it still is a nice and fruity drop with enough grip to keep it interesting. Nice but a bit short on the finish.

Curva Reserva Tinto 2005 is more overtly oaky than the white, but with attractive berry aromas. Dry and tannic, but with concentrated fruit. Ok.

Niepoort Redoma Branco 2006 is very attractive: mineral and savoury nose; abundantly fruity yet juicily acidic palate. I really enjoyed this - no oak notes and it is amazingly refreshing for such a blisteringly hot region.

Niepoort Sarvet 2004 is one of Dirk's projects where he collaborated with a Finnish comic-book artist Juba Tuomola (who made the label of course) to provide a wine solely for the Finnish market. It is an attractive, easy going red, with much sweet red notes on the nose; nice grip on the palate. A bit short, but attractive if a bit simple.

Niepoort Redoma Tinto 2004 is earthy and brambly, more rustic and less oaky than the IMO frankly disappointing 2003. I quite enjoyed this but it needs time.

VT 2005 is herbal, slightly vegetal, a bit too oaky at the moment (but not oaky in the way that it would swamp all other aromatics); dry and tannic and concentrated. Quite impressive if you like the modern style of Douro.

Quinta Zimbro Calços do Tanha Tinto 2004 is earthy and vibrant and interesting, but it lacks a bit of concentration. Decent.

Quinta Zimbro Calços do Tanha Tinto Reserva 2004 is oaky and berried on the nose, very modern in style; dry and not terribly concentrated palate. Passable.

Duas Quintas Reserva 2003 smelled really weird: sweat and cat's piss. This can't be right, but I didn't want to ask the person pouring to open another bottle since the tasting was just about to close.

-Otto-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: WTN: Brief sips of Douro table wines

by Brian Gilp » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:16 pm

Niepoort Redoma Tinto 2004 is earthy and brambly, more rustic and less oaky than the IMO frankly disappointing 2003. I quite enjoyed this but it needs time.

I recently had the 2001 which is drinking really nice right now. However, that is the only vintage I have had so can not really compare to the 2003 or 2004.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Brief sips of Douro table wines

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:01 pm

Yup, good wines to consider Otto as the days shorten, the winds blow and the snow-blower is put to good use! Niepoort is one outfit to look out for.