The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Preview of 2007 Oregon Pinot Noir is not very promising

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

Preview of 2007 Oregon Pinot Noir is not very promising

by ClarkDGigHbr » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:45 am

We had rather uncharacteristically cool wet weather off-and-on during the summer here in the Pacific NW. Then the seasonal weather change arrived about one month early. This left me thinking recently that Oregon's 2007 Pinot Noir vintage would be a real challenge.

Today, someone sent me the following link:
http://www.kgw.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D8S9882G0.html

Truth be told, my interest in Oregon Pinot Noir has been slipping recently. After five really strong vintages (1998-2002), things have been more challenging for the winemakers. Then add to that the upward price creep and the upward ABV creep. I just cannot not bring myself to spend $60 for a bottle of jammy Pinot Noir with 14.5% ABV. Heck, I can get the same results for half the price with a Washington Syrah.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

Re: Preview of 2007 Oregon Pinot Noir is not very promising

by michael dietrich » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:34 am

This seems to be most like 1997. There were some good wines made that year but it was also a winemakers vintage. Also there are many newer wineries that have never had to deal with these kind of conditions.
It will certainly be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:56 am

Things are definitely sad down there this year. Last weekend, I joked about one vineyard with Brian O'Donnell of Belle Pente, "do you think you'll be able to pick by Halloween?" He shot back, "I'm thinking Thanksgiving."

But Clark, I tasted a lot of 04s and 05s that I liked. The only wines I found sub-bar were the few 03's some people are still trying to unload.
no avatar
User

Linda L

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:53 pm

McMinnville, Oregon

by Linda L » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:43 pm

We have passed the 2 hundred ton mark and am seeing some very interesting variables in the fruit. While the cool and wet is a bit early, there have been some windows that have worked well for ripening & picking. Since we source from many vineyards, there are distinct differences in sites, age of vine and farming practices. This to me, is far from another 1997, or forbid an 84, but rather a year of the winemaker. We have had fruit that the numbers and flavor profiles are lovely, and some that are not perfect. When Mother Nature is your partner, you learn quickly that one recipe or protocol doesn't work, but rather it's much more like cooking.. each dish is created to taste.
I think this year will show us a more traditional style of pinot, that is feminine, balanced, gentle, and not a giant in your face alcohol bomb. By the way, I prefer the kinder side of Pinot, as opposed to the "bigger" style, my thought is if I want big, I will go for a Cab.
It's far to early to write off the 2007 vintage, give us some time in the cellar to wrap it up and see what the very talented winemakers of Oregon are capable of.
Cheers !
Linda
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:11 pm

Linda, are you a grower or do you also make wine?
no avatar
User

Linda L

Rank

Wine geek

McMinnville, Oregon

by Linda L » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:28 pm

We are both Growers and Winemakers, so lucky us get to see it from both sides :-)
L
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:23 pm

Good luck using all your skills in the cellar, Linda, now that you have done what you can in the vineyards.
Please keep us updated about the progress.
Cheers, Anders
no avatar
User

rumpole

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:16 pm

Washington State

by rumpole » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:23 pm

Jenise,

Linda is a very good winemaker and great host at her winery. Worth your time to stop in McMinnville,OR next time and vist/taste. Linda won't remember me, but when I simply stopped to taste she took me back into the winery barrel tasting during a busy bottling session a couple of summers ago. I leave it to Linda to disclose her winery to you.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:43 pm

Rumpole, I do believe I know which winery Linda might be associated with, but I've never had any of her wines. They've been spoken well of here, though.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:22 am

Jenise wrote:Rumpole, I do believe I know which winery Linda might be associated with, but I've never had any of her wines. They've been spoken well of here, though.

So is anyone going to say where Linda is from?

I have seen Brian Loring is not overly happy with the vintage while Doug Tonnell says "The results are some of the cleanest, most aromatic, sweet ferments I've seen in a long time." and comparing it to 2000. Todd Hamina seems positive as well.

Sounds to me that it may not suit the new wave of bigger style producers. But it sounds like I will be happy with most of my favs.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:17 am

Jason Hagen wrote:Sounds to me that it may not suit the new wave of bigger style producers. But it sounds like I will be happy with most of my favs.

Jason

If 2007 results in someone, somewhere, making a wine like 1997's St. Innocent Seven Springs, I'll be in heaven.

Linda's winery is Stonewolf, I believe.
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:30 am

We are still due to get more rain. I live in the Portland metro area and we got 1.3 inches of rain in the last 24 hours. It looks like the storms are lined up for a number of days. It will be interesting to see the wines next year.
no avatar
User

Linda L

Rank

Wine geek

McMinnville, Oregon

by Linda L » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:59 am

I think Jason nailed it, we will not be seeing the "Big" pinots for the most part. I have seen fruit come in from 15 or so vineyards in the valley, and am convinced 2007 Willamette Valley wines have the potential to be beautiful, just not the high alcohol some producers and drinkers prefer. It's nice to see some reasonable alcohol levels, instead of fighting to keep them down.
OK, I'll fess up - We produce our own 3 brands - Stone Wolf, Mystic Mountain and our newest baby "Lindsay", in addition we serve several Clients who are or have embarked on thier own labels.
Looks like a last window will be opening around Sunday, so we hope to bring the last of the fruit in by tuesday. Today it's raining and supposed to be quite windy, so it's cellar and paperwork for me.
Linda
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:11 pm

Jenise wrote:If 2007 results in someone, somewhere, making a wine like 1997's St. Innocent Seven Springs, I'll be in heaven.

Interesting. Not a beloved wine. I think Mark even hated it for many years ... Jason says "Hey Mark ... just had the 97 7S" ... Mark says "I hate that wine" ... later saying it was now coming around. So bummed ... last time I was there was an open 97 sitting on the table ... but it was corked :( I drank my last one a few years ago.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:26 pm

I bought a case after he marked it down to like $15 a bottle. I loved it immediately, and more with every passing year. Drank my last one about two years ago. It was lighter--not dilute but delicate--and less extracted than his usual wines which is exactly what I loved about it. Funny that he privately hated it, an acquaintance who went to a St. Innocent dinner in NYC where Mark poured the wine portrayed Mark's take on it quite differently. I guess he was just marketing.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:31 pm

Jenise wrote:Funny that he privately hated it, an acquaintance who went to a St. Innocent dinner in NYC where Mark poured the wine portrayed Mark's take on it quite differently. I guess he was just marketing.

Uhh oh... Mark is not really a marketing guy. I think he calls um like he sees um. When was the NYC dinner? Like I said in recent years his tune changed. I am thinking he made the comment about the 97 around 2001.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:41 pm

I'll see if I can dig it out, it's probably on WLDG Classic.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:48 pm

Ah, found it. And the results aren't quite what I remembered them to be. More was likely revealed in the ensuing discussion, but only the original post remains.

It's below:

Topic: TN: Mark Vlossak/Burgundy Wine Company St. Innocent Dinner at l''Imper
Author: Jay Miller
Date: Thu Sep 5 01:27:39 2002
BWC helped break in the new L''Impero restaurant in Tudor City tonight with a dinner/tasting featuring wines from my favorite West Coast Pinot producer (hard to believe it was less than 2 years ago that Jenise''s and Bob Ross'' posts first convinced me to try them).

Before moving onto the wines I''d like to put in a good word for the restaurant. Affiliated in some unidentified way with Judson Grill, the food was superb and very wine friendly. Delicious, well integrated flavors that were interesting but didn''t overpower the wines. The space was attractive and the service good, but the low hard ceilings in the area we were sitting led to a very high noise level. If I go back (which I''m inclined to do) then I''d ask to be seated in the lower area which has higher ceilings and thus hopefully a lower noise level. As it was, I found it very difficult to hear anyone not sitting immediately next to me.

After hearing Mark Vlossak speak at the dinner I came away understanding why St. Innocent is one of the very few west coast wines I buy. A passionate advocate for terroir, he believes that the greatest wines in the world come from Burgundy (Gouges NSG is a particular favorite) but that "to try to make Burgundy in Oregon is a big mistake".

He said that one necessity in making great wine is to have the grapes just barely get ripe. They should ripen at the last possible moment before being picked. Oregons climate of low summer rainfall (less than an inch from July 4th to November) and cool weather is a big advantage here. And in fact if I had to describe a house style it''s one where sweet fruit is present, but used as an accent. Just as a touch of salt enhances all the other flavors of a dish but too much will overpower them, that''s the restraint he employs in making his wines.

It was exciting to hear him talk about searching for the best sites to grow grapes and learning the characteristics of the different vineyards. He experiments with different barrel types in each year, determining what to use in weak years as opposed to stronger years to determine how best to let the underlying characteristics of the wine show through. His grapes from each vineyard come from the same section devoted to him each year, and he selects vineyards because he thinks they make unique wines that speak.

He thinks Oregon pinot will continue to improve as the vines age (currently his oldest vines are only 20 years old) and the best sites are discovered. At that point Oregon will begin producing pinot to rival anything, including Burgundy.

I''m very glad I had the chance to taste them in this environment. Don''t serve them out at the same dinner where you''re also pouring big Cabernets, etc. The differences in bottlings are occasionally subtle but always worth attending to.

Please remember in reading my grades that B wines are really good. An A is reserved for greatness. Of course I''ll grade pinot based wines higher than many others as a matter of personal preference.

On to the wines:

2000 St. Innocent Vitae Springs Pinot Gris - faint bouquet of pear and guava? Smooth rich texture, but not especially interesting flavor, a bit drab really. Mark Vlossak suggests that if you like Pinot Gris the one to look for is the Shea that''s coming out in February. C+

2001 St. Innocent Freedom Hill Pinot Blanc - the nose is more reticent but the wine is much livelier! More acidity, interesting melange of orange, lime, apple, lively, fresh. Possible touch of oak but I''m not certain of that, if so not enough to detract. B

1997 - Seven Springs Pinot Noir - Smells much more open than last year when Luca was pleasantly surprised by it, with a rich liquourish bouquet. But the palate has added only a touch more fruit to the elegant bones. Dried cherries, dried leaves, spice, some subtle herbal influence, thickens on the finish. Thoroughly delightful wine from a theoretically off vintage.
Went surprisingly well with an amuse bouche of a shrimp with some kind of designer salt.
This is Mark Vlossak''s favorite vineyard and I understand why. he says it''s characteristics include wild brambly berries, white pepper, ripe blackberries, and spices without sweetness.
B+, wouldn''t be at all surprised if I raised it to an A- with more time.

1997 Brick House Pinot Noir - Dustier nose, more reticent, perfect small scaled wine. Finish is a bit short but it fans out in a light but delicious fashion. B

2000 Brick House Pinot Noir - You can tell this was a riper vintage, there was a longer finish but as always it''s not about overripe fruit. A slight medicinal tinge intrudes, or perhaps that''s more pine. Give it time. B-

2000 Temperance Hill Pinot Noir - a delight. More sweet fruit than the others, but still pure and well balanced. I''m vaguely reminded of Clos Roche Blanche. Perhaps a touch sweeter, perhaps a hair less harmonious, but a thoroughly satisfactory wine that melded exceptionally well with the Porcini, English Peas and Shiitake Mushroom Salad. B

2000 Freedom Hill Chardonnay - As many of you know I can count the Chardonnays I''ve really liked without taking my shoes off. Domaine de Roally, Sauzet Chevalier Montrachet, B. Morey Chassagne Caillerets. This had a light but interesting bouquet. On the palate I get chalk, melon and rainwater. Trails off a bit on the finish but probably the best US chardonnay I''ve had (not that I drink many). Quite lovely in a soft way. A balanced west coast chardonnay. Who know it was possible? Another good match with the salad and it more than held its own with teh Temperance Hill. B

1996 Freedom Hill Pinot Noir - More powerful than the others, the current of fruit is much stronger (though not sweeter) than the pretty mountain stream of the earlier wines. You want to find a ford or a bridge for this wine. With air the tannins this vineyard are known for became quite evident. Mark Vlossak said that the Freedom Hill Pinots start out hard and tannic and slowly soften year by year as opposed to the 7 Springs which drink well for the first 2-3 years and then shut down for 5-6 before opening up again. He also said that Black Cherries and earth are characteristic flavors.
B with a probable promotion to B+ with more time.

2000 Shea Pinot Noir - Least interesting so far. Good solid wine but I don''t see the violets he talked about as being characteristic of this vineyard (along with red roses, red & black raspberry). He said that it didn''t pair well with the baby goat but if we''d had it with (for example) duck breast with a fruit sauce it would beat out the ''96 Freedom Hill and ''00 Seven Springs as a food pairing. Perhaps, but as it was: C+

1999 Seven Springs Pinot Noir - Not as forward as the ''98 (which we didn''t have in this tasting) but real quality here. Complex sparkles of flavor keep my attention. Dusty spices without sweetness. B+, likely A- in 8 years or so.

1998 Shea Vineyard Pinot Noir - Tight, but a lot of coiled potential. The ripe (but as always, not overripe) fruit is smooth leading into a long finish. Really good. A touch of pine and mint as accents to the plums, raspberries and yes, violets. It improves with air as the structure becomes more apparent and the flavor profile nudges over towards cherries. B

1992 Seven Springs Pinot Noir (from magnum) - From a vintage where the wines matured rapidly and most have died, although he feels the 7 Springs is just peaking. Dusty older bouquet, a touch of overripeness for the first time? It was too cold at first and I hope it will show more with air and warmth but, alas, this doesn''t seem to help. Still light and ultimately uninteresting. C

1993 O''Connor Pinot Noir (from magnum) - Much more intense nose. I''m thinking sangiovese with it''s strong structure, acidity and cherry fruit. My early notes read: A bit light. I''m not convinced this shouldn''t have beenb drunk several years ago. C+
As it warmed up (both magnums seemed to have come from a refrigerator) and got some air I was convinced. It filled out dramatically and showed as remarkably young and vibrant. B+