The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Brief notes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Brief notes

by Florida Jim » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:11 am

Quick notes from a weekend with friends:

1999 Trimbach, Clos St. Hune: powerful, firm and structured with plenty of concentration and oodles of time left to peak.

1988 G. Conterno, Barolo Res. ‘Monfortino’: Showing somewhat hard with an earthy character and substantial structure; good fruit but still needs cellar time.

1999 V. Dauvissat, Chablis ‘Sechet’: Lemon custard nose with decent concentration and elegant flavors. Some thought it too oaky; not I.

2004 Leroy, Bourgogne: Complex nose, supple in the mouth and good Beaune character.

2004 Terre Nere, Etna Rosso ‘Calderara Sottana’: In a very good place this is light-weight but full flavored wine that goes well with a variety of dishes.

1997 Felsina, Chianti ‘Rancia”: Also in a good place but deeper than the foregoing wine and more focused.

2002 Brun, L’Ancien: Reduced and sulpherous; this bottle was not pleasant.

2003 Puffeney, Arbois ‘Poulsard’: Vibrant, happy juice with good depth, complexity and sustain; yummy!

2006 Rbt. Weil, Riesling Trocken (375ml): About as good a dry riesling as I have had in awhile; floral, juicy, bone dry and perfectly balanced; really charming wine.

2000 d’Angerville, Volnay ‘Clos des Ducs’: special wine and drinking remarkably well for so young; full of Volnay character, supple, nuanced, mouth-filling and long; a real treat.

2003 Clos Roche Blanche, Gamay: Not up to par; some thought it flawed, I just thought it needed some cellar time – we shall see.

2001 Chevillon, N-S-G ‘Pruliers(?)’: Quite young and firm; iron, black fruit and earth but not yet integrated; a little tough but certainly not unpleasant.

Etc.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars