The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Need a little Twin Cities help

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Need a little Twin Cities help

by Redwinger » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:18 am

I'll be in Minneapolis on business a few times over the next 5 or 6 weeks. Staying in downtown (sans auto) and would like some wine friendly recos. Good food (preferably not expensive) with a decent-by-the-glass wine list would be ideal.
Thanks.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: Need a little Twin Cities help

by Bill Hooper » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:57 pm

Hi Bill,
Try Fugaise -just across the bridge from DT. French-fusion with a solid list. If you don't like the wines, BYOB, there's a great wine shop across the Street -Surdyks.
Brit's is good for english fare (if English fare is good?), but it's a good place for a pint.
The Modern Cafe is Northeast (an easy cab ride or a long walk with a good list and great cheap food.)
La Belle Vie (French) is wonderful, has a superb wine list but is $$$.
If you like Spanish food, Solera is DT and is one of the best Tapas bars in the country -great list (all Spain and Portugal though) WOW -great Sherries!
Jean Georges has a restaurant in the Chambers hotel across Hennepin from Solera.
Plenty of Steak joints, Mortons, Manny's, Ike's and Murray's. All have decent enough wine lists.
A short Cab ride Uptown to Barbette is a good idea. Cheap AND great Bistro with an interesting list.
I don't eat in St. Paul very often, but WA Frost may be the best restaurant that side of the river.
Moscow on the Hill for Russian and a LARGE SELECTION OF VODKA -across the street from Frost.
There are a TON of good and cheap and ethnically diverse restaurants if you head south of DT on Nicollet Ave. Some with wine, some not -don't walk.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:05 am

Cool. I can use this the next, next time I'm up there. My next trip (on the 29th) I'm going for company dinner being held at the Radisson in Plymouth and won't have time to get downtown.

What do you know about good places out on the west side - Plymouth, Minnetonka, Eden Prairie?
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:29 pm

Doug Surplus wrote:Cool. I can use this the next, next time I'm up there. My next trip (on the 29th) I'm going for company dinner being held at the Radisson in Plymouth and won't have time to get downtown.

What do you know about good places out on the west side - Plymouth, Minnetonka, Eden Prairie?

There is a great Italian Restaurant in Long Lake called Ravello. Smart wine list, great food. Long Lake is just west of Minnetonka. In Excelsior there is it's sister Restaurant called Biella. Both excellent.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com