The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Any Word on MoCool 2006?

by Robin Garr » Mon May 15, 2006 6:13 pm

ekovitch wrote:I have been absent for a while. Is there any word on MoCool 2006?

Hiya ... Erich? Erroll? There was a little flurry of activity on the MoCool E-mail list a few weeks ago, and several of the usual suspects insist that there will be an event this year - maybe a Saturday picnic only. There was talk about the theme being "Sweet 16," focusing on wines of the 1990 vintage. There was also talk about having a secondary theme - maybe light whites and bubblies - to accommodate those who don't have cellars and/or those who think a summer picnic tasting under a tent probably ought to have at least a few alternatives to well-aged old masterpieces.

I have no reason to doubt that it will happen, but I'll also be happy when we get a more specific commitment from the organizers and their go-ahead to put it on the MoCool home page.
no avatar
User

Errol Kovitch

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon May 15, 2006 3:47 pm

Rochester Hills, MI

by Errol Kovitch » Tue May 16, 2006 8:35 am

Thanks Robin.

I did a search on MoCool and could not see anything for 2006.

Sweet 16. that sounds great. I do have a few 90's that may be starting to come around! (Do you think that my case of Beaujolais Villages Nouveau would be ready yet? - Just kidding)

I wish I knew a date 'cause weekends are starting to fill up already.

BTW... I have updated my username to full name.
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue May 16, 2006 11:44 am

Errol Kovitch wrote:(Do you think that my case of Beaujolais Villages Nouveau would be ready yet? - Just kidding)

I think I'd advise waiting for the Parker review and then flipping it, Errol. :oops:

As for the date, sorry, I should have mentioned that. Here's the most comprehensive info I have, sent by John Wolf on the E-mail list:

Code: Select all
When last I talked to Clay, the plan was to do MoCool on the weekend of August 26th .  The theme being discussed/almost agreed to was “Sweet Sixteen”, or wines from the 1990 vintage.  There will be a Saturday picnic, no Sunday tasting, and right now it looks like no organized Friday nite dinner (we’d provide a list of wine friendly restaurants in the area and let folks do their own thing, or something like that).

And of course, this is all up for debate……  J

As I said, on the basis of "the last time I talked to Clay, the plan was," and "all up for debate," I'm not yet confident enough in the details to update the MoCool Home Page. But I hope they get it organized reasonably soon - the year is flying past.
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:38 am

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed May 17, 2006 12:52 pm

Robin Garr wrote:wines from the 1990 vintage

That sounds like an attractive theme alright. I just regret that I have no more 1990 Stoney Ridge Foch left that I could bring. It was made by none other than Jim Warren.

That said, there should be lots of exciting stuff from back then. Rhônes should be an interesting bunch, and I think that if any '90 Pinotage makes it to the picnic it could be a fascinating chance to relive the old style that's become so rare with the advent of internationalization.
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Wed May 17, 2006 12:59 pm

Glad you posted that one, Robin. My blocker obviously worked. It filters out anything that is from someone I have neither emailed or put on a list. To remove the block, I need the email address of the sender. Do you have it?
-w
-OW
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed May 17, 2006 3:46 pm

OW Holmes wrote:To remove the block, I need the email address of the sender. Do you have it?

Sure, OW, let me look it up. (Aside: Is that Earthlink? I really don't like that kind of blocking - you punish yourself by severely limiting your access to listserves, mail lists and other legitimate mail. But whatever works for you.)

Here we go: It's MoCool@yahoogroups.com