The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Blue Monster -- a very exclusive label.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Blue Monster -- a very exclusive label.

by Bob Ross » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:04 am

Last month the Financial Times announced a new label, worth a trip to Redmond?

Extract from the website.

Microsoft launches a tipple for techies

By Stacy-Marie Ishmael

Published: September 16 2007 22:52 | Last updated: September 16 2007 22:52

Tonight, a select group will gather in a bar in London’s Soho to quaff a crisp, South African white wine bottled in their honour.

The hand-picked guests toasting the new vintage are not, however, wine connoisseurs but techies. The gathering marks the launch of the Blue Monster Reserve label, created by winery Stormhoek for Microsoft and its employees.

Own-label wine and personalised bottles have become increasingly popular in the corporate world, particularly among investment banks, as gifts to clients and offered to guests of corporate events. The companies hope the corporate vintages will add an air of class and sophistication to their image.

But unlike customised wine bottles given by banks and law firms to clients, this label did not originate in Microsoft’s corporate communications headquarters.

Hugh MacLeod, a cartoonist, blogger and marketing strategist for Stormhoek, created the Blue Monster image after getting to know Microsoft employees.

Mr MacLeod met these “Microsofties” through his day job. “We sponsored a series of ‘geek dinners’ for bloggers and techies in the US and the UK,” he said. “I met a lot of people from Microsoft through these dinners, and they all said the same thing: we want to change the world.”

That notion of a kinder, gentler Microsoft is at odds with its cut-throat corporate image. Critics have accused the software giant of abusing its dominant position and of stifling innovation in the industry. In 2003, the European Commission found Microsoft guilty of uncompetitive practices and levied a record €497m ($689m, £342m) fine. The result of its appeal against that decision is due on Monday.

The cartoon of a sharp-toothed blue creature and its tagline, “Microsoft – change the world or go home”, has now been adopted by some Microsoft employees and fans as a symbol of the company’s innovation.

“People see Microsoft as a big, bad corporate monster,” Mr MacLeod said. “Yet all the Microsofties I’ve spoken to say they just want to make great products and do good works. It was obvious that Microsoft had to get better at telling their story.”

“Wine is a social object, and so is the Blue Monster: they both inspire conversation,” he said. “And we thought the cartoon would look really cool on a bottle.”

The article continues here.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Blue Monster -- a very exclusive label.

by Peter May » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:10 am

I don't understand it -- and I guess neither does artist Hugh McLeod at GapingVoid.com. Blue and IBM are so welded together, why Microsoft is being associated with blue I just dont get....

Anyway, its another welcome publicity opportunity for Stormhoek - see http://www.stormhoek.com/blog/index.php ... r-reserve/
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:11 am

That's because of famous [infamous] blue screen Microsoft deliveries to faithful users from time to time, Peter. :(
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:02 pm

Ahhhh ... :twisted:
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:35 pm

Bob Ross wrote:That's because of famous [infamous] blue screen Microsoft deliveries to faithful users from time to time, Peter. :(

Funny you should mention this, Bob. I stumbled across the following old advertisement just today: The Blue Screen of Death. There is a punchline, but not until the very end.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:36 am

Central Pennsylvania

by Steve Guattery » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:16 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:Funny you should mention this, Bob. I stumbled across the following old advertisement just today: The Blue Screen of Death. There is a punchline, but not until the very end.

Here is my favorite Blue Screen of Death gag.