The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Drinking a vintage wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Lesley T

Rank

Just got here

Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:53 pm

Drinking a vintage wine

by Lesley T » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:34 am

I have purchased a 1974 Mondavi Cab, my first old wine. Any suggestions on the proper way to drink? In 2003, it was reported to be still have good structure. I don't want to screw it up, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: Drinking a vintage wine

by Jon Peterson » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:59 pm

First - Welcome to you and I hope you come back to this site many times. I know nothing compared to most who frequent this wonderful site.

Second - Whether this wine is alive or dead depends on how it has been stored since it was bottled: Did it ever sit in a wine shop in the sunny window or did it get warm and cold many times, pushing the cork out a little or did it just get warn and stay that way - who knows.

Third - the wine you have, in my opinion may be great. (It was the 1974 vintage (not the Mondavi however) that woke up the French and put California on the map.)

Last - I'd set the bottle upright the day before I was to open it. Then, I'd chill it for 20 minute in the fridge. Then I'd decant it slowly (for sediment reasons, not for breathing). I would immediately try a small glass. If it was ok, I'd pour it for all. I'd take my time and enjoy it and I'd taste it slowly as it evolved in the glass as this wine may go through several stages in the glass. Let us know how it turns out.
Last edited by Jon Peterson on Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:42 pm

Lesley, Welcome.

Here are a few recent tasting notes from Cellar Tracker:

1974 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve (USA, California, Napa Valley)

9/12/2007 cgrimes 89

Skinner Fine Wine Auction Reception (Boston, MA): Skinner auction reception. End of bottle. Cloudy with sediment but nice nose of leather, truffle, earth. Some stewed fruit. Can't say much more--wish I had gotten a better sample. (193 views)

8/19/2007 Haj

Nose of coffee, plum, cedar, mint, and something floral—the delicate, floral scents distinguish this from other excellent cabs and are the mark of the 1974 vintage. Delivers cedar, while brimming with sweet, ripe plum flavor; currants finish for a strong bodied wine. Some tannins still on the finish! Altogether holding its structure, fruit, and complexity. I hate to say the media is right on the 1974, but they are. (113 views)

8/8/2007 Keith Levenberg 90

Mucho Lopez (Il Corso): Poured blind, I initially guessed old Right Bank Bordeaux, then changed my guess to old Graves due to the rusty, iron-like aroma with hints of ashy smoke. With the tannin mostly resolved into a smooth, claret-like texture and the restrained fruit complemented by a savory, gamey tinge, this is a complete, balanced bottle of wine in a state of harmonious maturity. In an elegiac way, a worthy tribute to what Robert Mondavi sought to accomplish in California. (234 views)

Based on these notes, the wine may be over the hill or at least in decline. Don't decant, but pour and drink to get the entire experience of what is left in the bottle.

Enjoy this historic wine, no matter how it tastes tonight.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:54 pm

Is this the Reserve? I had last year, thought it a very very nice mature CS. I haven't had the regular '74 Mondavi, but the writer John Gilman said its only a step behind the Reserve.

I'd decant for sediment a little before serving (10 minutes), and then savor. A well-stored bottle is not going to fall apart in minutes imho.

It is mature, so I wouldn't pair it with a big steak or the like as I would a young cab. Think braised meat, roast chicken, etc.
no avatar
User

Lesley T

Rank

Just got here

Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:53 pm

by Lesley T » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:07 pm

It is the reserve. Thanks for your help