The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Fugnano Vernaccia

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

WTN: 2006 Fugnano Vernaccia

by Sam Platt » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:21 am

My wife and I just returned from a ten day vacation trip to Italy. We spent several days at a farmhouse on the outskirts of the walled city of San Gimignano. Simply beautiful all round! While there we were introduced to the local grape, vernaccia. We tasted many vernaccia wines and found them uniformly hearty and robust for a white. We became addicted to our afternoon bottle of vernaccia with bread, cheese and olives. That's over now. The real world is such a cruel place.

2006 Fugnano Vernaccia di San Gimignano

Color: Dark gold in the glass.

Nose: Pear, apple, cut grass.

Taste: Pear, lemon, vanilla. Seemed like a hint of olive in the background as well. Extended finish with lingering pear and another hint of olive. Velvety mouth feel and a nice density to the wine, more akin to a red than a white. I could actually see this wine working with lightly seasoned meats. May be too overpowering for fish.

FYI - We bought these wines at Wineland inside San Gimignano. The owner there is very knowlegable and quite helpful. We spent about 90 minutes tasting wines with her and learned a lot about the region and Italian wine in general. Highly recommened if you happen to be in the neighborhood. On a humorous note, we were tasting an earthy red and calling out what we were getting. In her broken english she said, "I am smelling a shit from the horse". Be careful of her humor and charm though, we left more than 300 euro with her. Money well spent.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

Re: WTN: 2006 Fugnano Vernaccia

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:41 pm

I've had Vernaccia before, but it was made in Sonoma years ago by the Sabastiani's over at Viansa. [They don't own that winery any more.] It certainly was a lovely wine. I don't recall ever having (or even seeing in the store) any imported Vernaccia.

BTW ... I loved your story about the store proprietor describing that red wine. It really made my morning. :lol:

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:33 pm

Great to hear about your wine adventures in Italy, Sam! Any pictures?? I'll be in Siena and the Chianti Classico in January. Vernaccia is a great wine - I should have more of it!! Did you guys get to Montepulciano? 8)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:45 pm

Clark, there's a nice bit of imported vernaccia around. Look for entries from Seattle-based Small Vineyards brand, and white wine simply called by the place name Sam describes (isn't that a beautiful city?), Sam Gmignano.