The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2x'04 Bordeaux; Moscatel do Douro; Beer

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: 2x'04 Bordeaux; Moscatel do Douro; Beer

by Saina » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:31 pm

2004 Château Belair (Dubois-Challon) St. Émilion Grand Cru
It started out a little too oaky, but quickly calmed down into a red toned, exotically spicy nose that rather reminded me of some of the '80's Cheval-Blancs! The palate is a bit hard and well structured (both good things IMO for a young Bordeaux), but long and refreshing. Quite impressive - I might have to buy a bottle or two to lay down.

2004 Château Rauzan-Gassies Margaux
A rather rustic nose with a touch of dung, but also that typically Margaux-like strawberry/ripe red berry aromas. The palate is the most forward and fleshy of the trio here, but it still has good structure which keeps the whole refreshing. Long and savoury. I really enjoyed this wine, though the property has the reputation of being disappointing (just goes to show about my bad tastes in wine ;-) ). It may not be 2. Cru Classé quality, but neither is it priced like that. Considering that Finnish pricing is outrageous, I find this to be relatively an excellent value over here.

1996 Quinta do Portal Moscatel Reserva
It smells very floral and true to Muscat, yet has the orange-like notes of wood aged Colheita! I find the scent very engaging. It is sweet yet more refreshingly acidic than vintage ports are - rather the structure reminds me of older Colheita Ports in its citrussiness. Long aftertaste that is more savoury than simply sugary. I really like this stuff!¨

Haand Bryggeriet Dark Force Norway; 8,5%abv; 55EBU; 4,42€/½l

"A different and unique Imperial stout brewed in the style of a wheat beer using wheat malt and wheat yeast," says the back label.

It smells roasted and sweetly malty, like savoury caramel. It tastes sweetish and roasted with a fair dose of hops to keep it fresh. Unfortunately the alcohol is a little evident on the nose and palate, though otherwise it is a very nice stout.

But wheat? I don't drink much wheat beer, so perhaps I don't know what to look for, but this doesn't seem very wheaty to me. What are the signs I should be looking for?

-Otto-