The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Mini-Vertical (DCAOC)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Mini-Vertical (DCAOC)

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:07 pm

2002 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese:Beautiful honey and tropical fruit notes alongside the tell-tale petrol, the acidity was perfect, the body leaning more towards the light side of medium. Everyone really enjoyed this wine, and I think it may have been the first spatlese for a few. I've had the 2003 before and it was a little too sweet for me (as it was in this vertical) but this '02 is something I could get used to.

2003 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese:More viscous and concentrated than the '02, it was still enjoyable but everyone agreed that they preferred the first one.

2003 Cristom Louise Pinot Noir: This was OK, but was nothing like a pinot noir as I know it. 14.5% testified to that. One person who doesn't normally like pinots said he liked this, so there ya go. Again, not a bad wine but far to heavy for my tastes.

1997 Cristom Marjorie Pinot Noir: For starters the store screwed up and gave me the wrong wine...I'm not sure which was wrong, the Louise or the Marjorie, but I know that I had asked for the exact same product/different years and I never bothered checking what they put in the box. At any rate, this showed the tawny hue and wine, clear rim of an older wine. The aroma was enjoyed by some and not by others. It was a bit funky, with some cheese and earth and barnyard. The palate fell a bit short, and I think this wine was just tired (as Jenise had worried it would be). Still, it was definitely drinkable and we definitely finished it off.

2000 Amouriers Vacqueyras:Unfortunately this bottle was flawed. A number of people identified "stewed band-aid" and "acetone". I'm guessing volatile acidity, and we ended up pitching the bottle.

2004 Amouriers Vacqueyras:Much better than its predecessor, there was red fruit on the nose, followed by a medium body and more red fruit with some black fruit hints as well. Nicely balanced, although I've had vacqueyras with a little more personality that I've liked better.

2002 Chateau Potensac, Medoc: The oak on this was pretty up front, lending lots of caramel notes. It was a bit syrupy and sadly lacking in tannins or acidity. Flabby, dissapointing.

1996 Chateau Potensac, Medoc:This puppy redeemed his younger brother with notes of blackcurrants and some lush vegetal aromas. The palate followed suit, the tannins were completely integrated, leaving a round mouthfeel. I think most of us were pleased to wrap the evening up with this.
Last edited by Kyrstyn Kralovec on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Mini-Vertical

by Dale Williams » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:55 pm

Thanks for notes.
Too bad about the '02 Potensac, I liked the '00 and '01 (and the '96!)
And too bad re the flawed Rhone.
What did you end up doing re decanting?
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Re: Mini-Vertical

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:41 am

Dale Williams wrote:Thanks for notes.
Too bad about the '02 Potensac, I liked the '00 and '01 (and the '96!)
And too bad re the flawed Rhone.
What did you end up doing re decanting?

Dale, unfortunately the kitchen attached to the party room was locked, so we didn't have easy access to running water to rinse out between decants, so I just ended up decanting the '02 Potensac. Turns out we probably didn't need to :wink:

It was a nice tasting overall, and I think everyone enjoyed being able to compare and contrast the wines. Pretty sure it was the first vertical most of us had done.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt