The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 Piedmont, Loire, Rhone, Umbria, Tuscany, plus Napa dessert

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2 Piedmont, Loire, Rhone, Umbria, Tuscany, plus Napa dessert

by Dale Williams » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:51 pm

Wednesday we went to a new Greek place in Sleepy Hollow based on some Chowhound raves. Revithosalata, taramasolate, lamb shank, avgholemono were excellent, tzaziki,.hummus,souvlaki, gyro very good, salad average. Baklava was weak spot. Waiting on liquor license, so BYO for now , so we carried the 1999 Juge "Cuvee C" Cornas. Lovely Syrah, not a blockbuster by any means, pretty medium bodied wine with balanced blackberry fruit and a hint of gamey/meaty aromas. If you like your Syrah low-acid this won't be for you. Good length. Still developing as we left, hope the chef enjoyed the rest. A-/B+

Thursday I didn't have any wine, but enjoyed Agrippina at NYCO (the beautiful cellist doing the continuo was excellent, I might add) :)
I decided to make up for that on Friday, which was a good thing as my local group was coming over. But before that, Betsy made osso buco for an early dinner. I went down for a Sangiovese, but stumbled across a 1998 Beni di Batasiolo Barbaresco and opened that. Not a ton of character- some tannins, high acids, a bit grapey. With some air more black cherry. Tasting group samples a couple of time, integrates a bit, shows a little interest, but never strikes me as very Nebbiolo-ish. Ok for $20, I guess. B-

So the guys gathered - though with a couple sick and one out of country, only 4 of us. We started each bottle blind, along with a good assortment of cheese (Lambchopper, Langres, Gouda, Keens Cheddar, Sottocenare) and soppresatta. . Theme was supposed to be "Comparatively Obscure Grapes", and I had sent out a list of about 12 banned (too popular, from Barbera to Zinfandel) red grapes. The wines:

Wine #1 isn't blind for me, as it was my contribution. Light color, light body, but with persistence and depth. Floral, bright strawberry fruit accented with mineral and roadtar. After I confirm Italy, Fred guesses Piedmont. Good guess- the 2004 La Casaccia "Casa Poggeto" Grignolino del Monferrato
B+

Wine #2There's a (beautiful) herbal aspect to the nose that leads me immediately to Loire, but I know Cab Franc is on disallowed list. Fairly light color, yet deep fruit. I manage to guess Pineau d'Aunis, but that's as much social engineering as blind tasting. It's got excellent length, bright acidity, rich red fruit, a mineral/herb/tobacco leaf finish. It's the 2006 Clos Roche Blanche L'Arpent Rouge Touraine, and I'll be ordering some. B+/A-

Wine #3
Very ripe black cherry fruit, a bit of oak. Someone guesses New World, Marc says no. I then go to Italy, but am guessing south. It's very very ripe, and my mind is on Sicily, Campania, etc. I'm wrong, it's the 2003 Dei Vino Nobile di Montepulciano. Actually Sangiovese was on banned list, but Franco-Belgian Marc was relying on label, which called it Prugnolo. I was wrong about the oak, too- found something that said foudre. In any case, not bad, but I wouldn't look for it. B-

Wine #4
Jammy red fruit, a hint of VA, some oak. A bit tannic, ripe bordering on overripe, but with good length and depth. Again I'm guessing Southern Italy, again it's central. The 2003 Pardi Sagrantino (Montefalco) is probably biggest wine of the night, others like more than I. B-

We're having a good time on a rainy night., let's extend with a dessert wine. Something different- a half bottle of the 1991 Freemark Abbey Johannisberg Riesling Edelwein Gold. Dessert Riesling from Napa? I had loved a bottle of this from mid-70s. Cork is crumbly, I destroy and then filter into a carafe. Color is a deep gold, but immediately begins to darken. As I pass around, it has a deep orange tone and everyone thinks its a red. Within 15 minutes, it can only be described as brown. Yet this is actually tasty. Nutty, caramelly, it reminds me of a very good dessert sherry. Someone says "Toffee!" Quite nice, though a bit low acid. I think everyone likes, and it's still holding on when Betsy gets back from work. By morning it looks and tastes like mud, but this gets my vote for "tastes better than it looks" award. B/B+

Fun night, ok to very good wines, great group of guys.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: 2 Piedmont, Loire, Rhone, Umbria, Tuscany, plus Napa dessert

by Ian Sutton » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:13 am

2003 vintage strikes again :evil: thankfully we tasted a few balanced Barolo's from that vintage in the last fortnight, though I'm still not rushing out to buy them.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Re: WTN: 2 Piedmont, Loire, Rhone, Umbria, Tuscany, plus Napa dessert

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:55 am

Very nice notes, Dale...Friday sounds like a fun time. Will seek out 1&2 based on your descriptions...the riesling sounds intriguing!

We had a '93 Grand Cru gewurtz from Alsace last night and while it wasn't doa, it had seen it's prime I think.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt