The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1994 Simi Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (Sonoma)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 1994 Simi Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (Sonoma)

by Redwinger » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:04 am

1994 Simi Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (Sonoma), 13.5%

The is a blend of 91% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petite Verdot.

We've been on a bit of a Cali-Cab kick lately, so this was chosen to accompany some grilled Dijon marinated loin lamb chops and fresh greens from the garden. Decanted for about an hour. Initially there were some swampy aromas, but they quickly blew off. The vibrant color belies the age of this wine and there is only the slightest fade at the rim. Black current and a touch of leather. Smooth dusty tannins lead to a long smooth finish. The mid-palate comes up a bit short and it has a lighter body than I preger in my Cab...perhaps showing its' age?. Whatever oak may have been present in the wine's youth is now fully integrated. Definitely a sleeker (not spoofed) style of Cabernet that can be enjoyed with a meal.
If I had more of this I would drink them over the next few years, but alas this was my last/only bottle.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WTN: 1994 Simi Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (Sonoma)

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:18 pm

Redwinger wrote:If I had more of this I would drink them over the next few years, but alas this was my last/only bottle.

Don't you just hate it when that happens!?

Bill, I just had to chime in, even without recent TNs on the Simi, to thank you for a note that reminded me of how good older CalCabs can be, and not just "trophies."
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:23 pm

Robin,
I hardly drink any Cabs with less than 8 years of age on them. The exceptions being store tastings and off-lines. I prefer them with a touch of "bottle sweetness" as some old timers are fond of saying.
Every time I drink really aged Cabs, I recall a day perhaps 4 years ago.
Phone rings on a Friday afternoon, and it is a friend who says: "If you and NJ aren't busy tonight perhaps I can come over and I'll bring some steaks (he is a chef with access to some wonderful beef) we can grill and a bottle of wine".
"Sure, that would be great"
Well, to make a long boring story short, he shows up with the cow and a bottle that he had just won at auction when a local restaurant went out of business after the owners death. It was a 1974 Heitz Martha's that had been perfectly stored since release. I'll never forget the generosity of a friend and the truly memorable wine.
'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:50 pm

I also tend to age my cabs before drinking them, and have a similar story re: an older bottle of Heitz. Back in 2000, a friend gave me a bottle of 1973 Heitz Martha's Vineyard Cab. We opened that bottle few months later, and were enthralled by its dark, soft loveliness. We remember it as drinking dark liquid velvet.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:57 pm

Bill and Clark: From your notes it seems that moderately long aging will allow the oak to integrate better. I tried a Cab this weekend (Elizabeth Spencer 2004 Napa Valley) that had really luscious black fruit but a lot of oak. My main worry is the tannins are pretty soft, so...I'm thinking five years.

I also tried a Library Vertical of Beringer "Quarry Vineyard" Cabs today in St. Helena. The 1998, 9 years from vintage, was stunning-rich (but by no means "jammy"), black and red fruit (blackberry, cassis, plum-but not prune), some savory notes, tobacco, tons of excellent mouthwatering acidity. The 1998 was worth the wait! (The 1997 was leaner but still interesting, and I didn't care that much for the 1999).

Patience. I need to learn patience.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:53 pm

Redwinger wrote:Well, to make a long boring story short, he shows up with the cow and a bottle that he had just won at auction when a local restaurant went out of business after the owners death. It was a 1974 Heitz Martha's that had been perfectly stored since release. I'll never forget the generosity of a friend and the truly memorable wine.
'Winger

Wow! I need to find me some friends like that. Mine tend to show up with a package of Oscar-Meyer Bologna and a bottle of Yellowtail :cry:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:06 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Patience. I need to learn patience.

The more bottles you own, the more patient you get. Keep shopping!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:04 pm

People express amazement about my irrational collecting! I just smile and say that my cellar will be a lot better in ten years.