The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ten Oregon Pinots

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Ten Oregon Pinots

by Jenise » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:32 pm

Oregon Pinot Noir was the subject of Friday Night's neighborhood tasting wherein that rarest of things occurred, the group #1 (60 voters) and my #1 were the same wine.

While people were setting up, the folowing were available for self-pour.

2006 O'Reilly's: simple, balanced, easy to drink. $16
2005 Foris: just a tad more depth than the O'Reilly's, but pretty much the same. $17
2005 St. Joseph: The standout of the group with a spicy nose and a little mushroom with the cherries. $14
2006 Eola Hills: Lighter, more evolved than expected for an '06, but just fair. $12

The sit-down blind tasting, at which none were dogs, and of which I'd recently tasted all but the Evesham Wood:

2004 Domaine Serene, Evanstadt Reserve, Dundee Hills $45
Aromatic, generous fruit, modestly voluptuous; plum, blackberry and currants with a little spice and that Oregon violet, elegant and oh so well balanced from the very first sip. Group first place with 75 points, and my favorite too.

2005 Domaine Drouhin, Dundee Hills $38
Deep and dense with earth and smoke, black cherries and plums. Very complex, and a marked change from the delicate 04. The winemaker calls this "true to the vintage". One to buy for the cellar. My 2nd place wine, group 4th by a nose (58 points).

2005 Dobbes Family Winery, Grand Assemblage Cuvee, Dundee $25This was a wine that impressed me in Oregon, so I drug it home for the tasting. Of all the wines this had the most classic pinot nose. In the glass it developed spicy-earthy berry flavors and even some black pepper and foresty stuff--it could just as easily been my 2nd place wine, I kept going back and forth. Admittedly, suspecting the other was the Drouhin and understanding it's sure-thing cellar potential was what tipped my vote. For sheery beauty, I'd probably have voted for the Dobbes. Quite enticing, and I'm glad I bought this, an ethereal viognier, and the single vineyard Quailhurst for my cellar--where has Joe Dobbes been hiding all this time? My 3rd place wine, group 3rd place too (56 points).

2005 Panther Creek Winemaker's Cuvee $25
It seems that every tasting has a love-it-or-hate-it wine, and Friday night this was that wine. But I knew it would be polarizing, and that's why I chose it. Brooding with a nose of roasting coffee beans that turns increasingly smokey. Interesting and attractive on its own, which I've had, but surprisingly green and hoppy in the company of five other pinots, which an hour in the glass dissipates but that's too late for this crowd. Robust body and a little on the rustic side, but handsome. Not what I usually seek out in pinot, but could I use a pinot for red meat dishes (last night I paired it with beef and mushrooms in a fresh rosemary and garlic sauce)? Oh yes. I just ordered a case up from Seattle at $19. Killer QPR. My 4th, group last place with just 23 points (Interestingly, half those points came from 4 first place votes).

2004 Cottonwood Winery "Marina Piper", St. Paul, OR $27
I found this wine at the Horseradish Cafe in Carlton, a five-months old cafe/cheese shop/tasting bar that everyone who visits Oregon wine country should stop by for lunch. They pour tiny producers who don't have tasting rooms and aren't repped elsewhere, and to them we owe the discovery of this wine and the 2005 Styring Wit. At the winery, and last night at dinner, I found plush cherry fruit with a dose of blueberry pie supported by silky tannins. Great QPR. On Friday night, though, the nose smelled sweetly of baby powder (others agreed) and I couldn't love it. My last place wine, group 5th place wine with 41 points.

2006 Evesham Wood, Willamette $17
Pretty nose, cherry, some cola, and the finish turned simple toward the end, causing me to downgrade it to 6th. Up until then, though, there was nothing that indicated that it was the least expensive wine in the flight. At least to me: it nailed 2nd place with 70 points from the crowd, and indeed it WAAAY outclassed the similarly priced O'Reilly's and Foris above.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

Re: WTN: Ten Oregon Pinots

by Anders Källberg » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:11 pm

Nice to read your notes, Jenise! In particular since I, thanks to the kindness of Bob Ross, happen to have a bottle of the 2004 Domaine Serene, Evanstadt Reserve in my cellar. I also have a bottle of their Jerusalem Hill Vyd. Any view on if one of them is for earlier drinking than the other?

Cheers, Anders
no avatar
User

Ray Juskiewicz

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:28 pm

Seattle

by Ray Juskiewicz » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:32 pm

Wine Spectator says the Jerusalem Hill needs time - best after 2008. The Evenstad is their blended - and top - wine. It was higher rated and said to be ready to drink. I once heard someone at Domaine Serene say that all of the single vineyard wines exist only for the purpose of contributing to the Reserve. It represents the best they can make from all of their vineyards.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:42 pm

Ray Juskiewicz wrote:Wine Spectator says the Jerusalem Hill needs time - best after 2008. The Evenstad is their blended - and top - wine. It was higher rated and said to be ready to drink. I once heard someone at Domaine Serene say that all of the single vineyard wines exist only for the purpose of contributing to the Reserve. It represents the best they can make from all of their vineyards.

Ray, though I still think it's their best wine, price-wise there seems to be a new story. At the winery, the Jerusalem Hill is priced at $75 above the Evanstadt, and the Grace runs around $95 where they sell the Evanstadt for around $60 (and of course you can buy it elsewhere for less).

I just tasted the latest release of the Jerusalem, and it's quite fine. It's from the Eola Hills area further south of the Dundee Hills where the estate vineyards are, and you can taste the warmer climate. It's quite a wine, very rich and sweet with, of course, that trademark Serene elegance.
no avatar
User

Ray Juskiewicz

Rank

Wine geek

Seattle

by Ray Juskiewicz » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:56 pm

Jenise, the pricing you describe may be a reflection of what the market will bear. Single vineyard PN has gotten outrageously expensive. And the term reserve has been so overused that it doesn't command much of a premium. Also, they made 550 cases of the Jerusalem, and 5,000 cases of the Evenstad. Only 90 of the Grace.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:03 pm

Ray, could be. Regardless of price, to my tastes, the Evanstadt IS their best wine and that in a blind tasting (single blind to me as I bought the wines) I chose it as my favorite affirms my love for it. That the crowd also chose it was more the surprise--their tastes generally annoint lavishly oaked blueberry-chocolate bombs. Of course, there weren't any of that variety in this tasting, but you get my point. Sublety and elegance rarely win.
no avatar
User

Ray Juskiewicz

Rank

Wine geek

Seattle

by Ray Juskiewicz » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:23 pm

Jenise, I'm right there with you. Friday night I was sitting down having a few drinks with some very old, but not geographically close, friends. We see each other once a year or less, invariably at a college football game weekend where beer is the drink of choice.

Knowing that I spend silly amounts of time and money on trips to Oregon and on the wines made there, they asked what makes Oregon PN better than California Cab. You mentioned subtlety and elegance, I used the terms subtlety and finesse. I started to feel like Miles in Sideways, so I stopped. I don't think they got it.

Maybe I'll bring a bottle of something good next year and show them.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:14 pm

Anders Källberg wrote:Nice to read your notes, Jenise! In particular since I, thanks to the kindness of Bob Ross, happen to have a bottle of the 2004 Domaine Serene, Evanstadt Reserve in my cellar. I also have a bottle of their Jerusalem Hill Vyd. Any view on if one of them is for earlier drinking than the other?

Cheers, Anders

Anders, I have no history with the Jerusalem, so would hesitate to speak to that, but in general my experience is that the wines of Domaine Serene drink beautifully throughout their life and their lives are long. The single best domestic pinot I've ever had, without a doubt, was the 92 Serene Evanstadt about two years ago. It was still amazingly youthful. The second best might have been the 99 of same about two months ago, a wine that had a long future ahead of it and was much more youthful than the 01 Yamhill we had last week, which I'd say is at peak. Besides this tasting, we had an 04 Serene at dinner week before last, meaning we had a lot of time to enjoy the wine without other distractions, and the 04 showed very very well after just 30 minutes in decanter. I don't think it has a long future like the '92, and maybe not even as long as the '99, but these wines are so seductive I could easily be deceived. I may not be able to resist helping myself to another, but I'll hold at least two for 2012 and beyond.

For you, though, in the spirit of "don't put off to tomorrow what you can do today, because if you like it today you can do it again tomorrow", I'd recommend going ahead and enjoying the wine because it's so lovely right now. You can then dedicate the coming years to getting your hands on more. :D
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:42 pm

Thanks for the notes. Sounds like a nice tasting. Not wines I normally buy...other than the Evesham Wood and O'Reillys.

Jason
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:55 pm

Sounds like I need to 'buck up' and buy some Evanstad for the long term. (I only have 1 right now).
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:25 am

Jason Hagen wrote:Thanks for the notes. Sounds like a nice tasting. Not wines I normally buy...other than the Evesham Wood and O'Reillys.

Jason

I've been a fan of Russ Rainey's wines for a long time, but this is the first time I've had the base model in a comparative tasting and it was impressive how well it showed. I'm going to buy some for every day drinking.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:48 pm

Thanks Jenise and Ray for your suggestions and views on Domaine Serene. While Jenise's suggestion that I should consume my wine early and then search for replacement bottles, would be a good one if only there was at least a fair chance for me to obtain these wines over here in the north of Europe, but alas, Oregonian wines are a very rare commodity in this part of the world. Luckily, at least we get a fair share of very good New Zealand Pinots instead.