The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Special Pair ('95 La Mission Haut Brion & '95 Haut Brion)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: A Special Pair ('95 La Mission Haut Brion & '95 Haut Brion)

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:54 pm

Last night I was invited to share a special evening with our own Randy and Eve at their place in Paris.

I had spent the day just wandering the city (more later), and met Randy at a local wine shop. We wandered back to their place & after a little relaxation (ably assisted by a lovely Blanc de Blancs Champagne from Soutiran and some foie gras) we did the latest edition of the WLDG 'Talkshoe', while starting to sip from the main events.

The '95 La Mission Haut Brion was decanted to get it off some substantial sediment, while the '95 Haut Brion was merely opened and allowed to breathe after pouring small glasses for each of us. Each of the wines showed a dark red to purple hue with no signs of age at all. Initial sniffs showed the La Mission was much more open, and in fact the Haut Brion was very much a blank slate for a good 30 minutes.

Sitting down to do the live internet show, we first talked a little more about the Champagne (a lovely wine made from Chardonnay grown in a terroir known for Pinot Noir). The reds had been poured for about 45 minutes by the time we returned to them, and the La Mission Haut Brion was really starting to show something. Dark berry and cassis fruit, a touch of spice and a velvety richness that was then overcome by robust, but not rough tannins. The Haut Brion was still not showing much on the nose, but it's palate impression had lots of weight, as well as very pretty dark cherry fruit.

The show being over we turned to the dinner table for some wonderful lamb & potatoes. This was a lovely place for both wines, as the lamb was simply prepared (yet deliciously flavorful) and let the wine take center stage (moer on that later when I talk about Paris in another post). For the first part of the meal the La Mission continued to dominate, yet the Haut Brion was beginning to display its charms. Both wines remained very primary all night, so I would not open any bottles (if I had any bottles myself) for at least another 5 years. They do both have the fruit to balance the tannic grip of the '95 vintage though, so no fear in continuing to lay these bottles down.

Ultimately as we continued to sip the wines after dinner the Haut Brion displayed more breadth to its aromas and flavors while the La Mission displayed more weight. Given the reputations of the properties I was not surprised by that. These were both very well balanced mid-weight (yes I said mid-weight) wines that demonstrated their inherent class & distinction.

I hope that wines like these are always made, as the current trend (helped no doubt by the weather) seems to be leaving drinkability behind. Both wines were admirable accompaniments to the meal, to conversation, and, with the moderate alcohol, to enjoying a long evening with two wonderful people that I now count as friends. I hope we can repeat the same dinner in 5 years time (but see each other again much sooner) to see how both wines are coming along. I'll bring the Champagne!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: A Special Pair ('95 La Mission Haut Brion & '95 Haut Brion)

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:40 am

Thanks for the excellent notes, sounds like a nice time. I haven't had the '95 LMHB, but like the HB a lot. Last time I had hostess had decanted in AM, and I thought it was drinking well (to use a phrase someone hated in other thread) but still evolving. Certainly no hurry on that one.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:43 pm

I thought both wines were really great. The La Mission was more to my taste now, but I love aged Haut Brion, so I can guess what might happen in a number of years.

Randy, we talked enough about the wines that it was pretty easy to fix the "notes" in my mind. In less wine-focused company my notes would not have been so complete.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:17 pm

I remember at dinner with Randy and Eve in May, I also thought the 95 LMHB showed better than the 95 Lynch Bages it was poured next to. But, if I remember correctly, at that dinner Eve professed the LMHB to be shutdown and not showing much. Did she have the same opinion this time?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:11 am

Nope.