The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

A couple new (to us!) St-Chinians

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MichaelRedhill

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:42 am

Narbonne, France

A couple new (to us!) St-Chinians

by MichaelRedhill » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:53 pm

Last night we tried two very different St-Chinian's here, both of which were lovely, but in different ways. Forgive my newbie wine-tasting lingo; I don't have the experience you folks do, but I thought you'd appreciate hearing about a couple of wines you may not know.

Right outside of St-Chinian is a small producer called Mas Champart (10 hectares). We brought home a few of their bottles, but by far their best is the 2005 Clos de la Simonette, a 70/30 Mourvedre Grenache mix. It's a very dark, meaty wine with a great, heady bouquet. Heavy, stewed fruits, but not cloying, with hints of prune and cherry. We drank it with duck breast, but partway through all I wanted was filet mignon, with which it would have been absolutely perfect. We were told at the domaine that the wine could be put down to 2012 and the second bottle we got I won't open until at least 2010, with high hopes.

The second wine is one we read about in Jefford's The New France, a 100% Carignan made by a maverick vintner names Jean-Marie Rimbert. His domaine is hidden in the hills north of St-Chinean in a tiny hamlet called Berlou. It took us 45 minutes to drive the 20km off the main road to get there, but it was worth the drive.

He's busy making some wonderful wines as well as some very silly wines, and for a guy as serious about winemaking as this man is, he doesn't have an ounce of pretention about him. (His estate wine is called "Mas au Schiste"). We tried his Chant de Marjolaine, which Jeffords goes into paroxyms over, but it wasn't much more than a decent table wine. What we were really interested in is a wine he calls Carignator II, (the I being all gone) a 100% Carignan made up of five millisimes: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2005. The 2004, he told us, went off to become rubbing alcohol.

The Carignator II can give some of the big Californian pinots I've had a run for their money, even though there's not a single drop of pinot here. Like I say, I'm a layman among you, and I lack the full spectrum of descriptive powers, but this wine had such wonderful depth and different layers of it revealed themselves after the first swallow. There are strong earth tones, dark fruit, hearthfire. A little bitter, but only in that way where there is a touch of resistance on the tongue before something darkly delicious emerges out of it. Something autumnal here as well, the bouquet of newly fallen leaves. Anyway, it floored me. I asked him if it could be put down and he said "j'aime le boire maintenant." I guess he's thinking of the next version of Carignator, but I bought a few of these and aim to find out what they're like down the road ...
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: A couple new (to us!) St-Chinians

by Bob Henrick » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:25 pm

Michael,

First welcome to the forum. This report of yours describes exactly the kind of wine trip I would love to take to several European countries. One with no destination on a given day, and one where I seek out small local producers who are passionate about their craft and their wares. I have said many times that a trip to the California wine country would take a month, and a trip to Europe would take a year! Again welcome!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:52 pm

Michael: No need to apologize for your descriptions. You have avery good vocabulary for getting across your taste sensations!
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:45 am

Welcome, Michael.

I tasted the 1998 Mas Champart St-Chinian 6 years ago, but I have no information about a specific designation. I liked this wine quite a bit, and ended up buying some of it. My database indicates I had the last bottle about a year and a half ago, and it was still very appealing. I do not recall seeing any of this wine recently. I think I will keep my eyes open for it.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

MichaelRedhill

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:42 am

Narbonne, France

by MichaelRedhill » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:14 am

Thanks all for the postive comments; it makes one feel brave!

Clark: Matthieu and Isabelle Champart only created Mas Champart after 1976 and at first their grapes went into the cooperative; I'm not sure when they went independent, but my guess is that in 1998 would have been early days (although I understand their 98 reds were as spectacular as most were in this region). Right now, their two greats reds are the Causse de Bousquet and La Simonette; I think the latter is their best. I should also mention Canet-Vallette, from nearby Cessenon-sur-Orb. They make a red called Maghani (which, when I saw the label, made me wonder why the Palais du Vin in St-Chinian was stocking Hungarian table wine) -- these folks and this particular wine is supposed to be one of stars of the AOC, but I didn't like its bitter chocolate notes and found it frosty drinking. For a little more $, the Simonette is magnificent ...