The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Netscape Forum Poll: Favorite dessert wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Netscape Forum Poll: Favorite dessert wine

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:32 pm

With dessert wines and fortified wines on the seasonal radar again, let's talk about our favorites! This week's ballot offers a short list of usual suspects, plus the usual "other."

<b>Click here to vote!</b>
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Netscape Forum Poll: Favorite dessert wine

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:36 am

I voted late harvest Riesling, but I couldn't really justify if pressed that I like better than VP, Sauternes or sweet Chenin Blanc (Vouvray Moelleux, Quarts de Chaume, etc).

According to Cellar Tracker I have more Sauternes than any dessert, followed by Chenin, Vintage Prt, and Riesling stickies (but CT treat Auslese as off-dry, and I can use many as dessert wines).
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:01 am

I voted for sweet Riesling, but like Dale I really enjoy many different sweeties.

[And one main Sweetie, of course. :) ]

A fun poll, Robin. I haven't thought about the category for awhile, just targets of opportunity at the moment of decision.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:56 pm

Sauternes may be my favorite wine period. Especially with some age on it.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:23 pm

I voted for Sauturnes but would rate Australia's incredible array of Liquer Tokays and Muscats on an equal footing, not to mention the utterly mindblowing German Rieslings, Loire Chenin Blancs and the occasional Potuguese/Australian Vintage/Tawny Ports I've tried over the last two and half decades. Oh, and almost forgot .... and the odd wonderfully luscious Pedro Ximenez from Spain!

Come to think of it, I should have voted "all of the above plus a few more" in the "others" box. :wink: When you are a wine lover of most styles right across the board, and from just about every part of the globe, I find it difficult to rate any one style, grape or region as "the" favourite. Each has its own special place and what's probably the greatest thing about serious wine appreciation - the incredible diversity of high calibre wines available these days, not only from a static viewpoint, but with every year producing something a little (or sometimes a lot!) different to keep us all on our toes.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:28 pm

Lately, I probably drink more sherry that anything else. But I don't classify Amontillado as a dessert wine.

I did have an Ice Cider last year that just phenomenal. We don't drink many dessert wines as rule though.

Richard
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:47 pm

And where's Tokaji (Eszencia) on that list? Surely the king of wines/wine of kings deserves some mention, no? I don't actually drink many dessert wines (nor eat many desserts, truth be told), but a Szepsy Tokaji 6 Putts has to rank close to the top.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:53 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:And where's Tokaji (Eszencia) on that list? Surely the king of wines/wine of kings deserves some mention, no? I don't actually drink many dessert wines (nor eat many desserts, truth be told), but a Szepsy Tokaji 6 Putts has to rank close to the top.

Good point ... the CompuServe poll structure is limiting, as it has to fit into a little square, so I generally just go with five or six choices plus "other."

That's what "other" is for ... ;)
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:24 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:And where's Tokaji (Eszencia) on that list? Surely the king of wines/wine of kings deserves some mention, no? I don't actually drink many dessert wines (nor eat many desserts, truth be told), but a Szepsy Tokaji 6 Putts has to rank close to the top.

Mark Lipton

Damn right Mark! Surely Szepsy in particular and Tokaji in general deserve higher billing than 'other'.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com