The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Jean-Paul Champagnon "Les Roches" Fleurie

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

WTN: 2004 Jean-Paul Champagnon "Les Roches" Fleurie

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:52 pm

Clear, medium ruby hue. Toast with strawberry preserves on the nose, alongside some nebulous earth and floral scents upon swirling. Velvety tannins follow a round mouthful of red fruit, minerals and acidity.

I think this is a beautiful wine at $12.99. Will look forward to trying with some light game sometime.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

Re: WTN: 2004 Jean-Paul Champagnon "Les Roches" Fleurie

by Bruce K » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:24 am

Thanks for the notes, K. This is a bottling I've seen in various stores around town. I'd never heard of the producer, but between the price and my affinity for Fleuries and other cru Beaujolais, it has peaked my interest. Sounds like it's well worth a purchase.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:16 am

Bruce K wrote:Thanks for the notes, K. This is a bottling I've seen in various stores around town. I'd never heard of the producer, but between the price and my affinity for Fleuries and other cru Beaujolais, it has peaked my interest. Sounds like it's well worth a purchase.

Bruce, I noticed that JC posted a note a while back on the '01. Sounded like what she tasted was past it's prime, but that there had been potential.

I picked this bottle up along with three other wines that were being promoted by an agent from Promex named Franck Agostini (via an email from MacArthur Beverages). I've tasted the 2005 Pouilly-Fuisse from Domaine de la Collogne that was on his list ($18.99), and I liked it very much also. I've still got a Chinon from Domaine Gouron ($13.99) and a SB from Domaine Michaud in Touraine ($7.99) to ty, but I'm pretty optimistic about having found a few decent QPR wines from this guy.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:32 am

Interesting. I had received that email, too, but never made it. I was intrigued because I'm always on the lookout for locally-available Loire reds and the Gouron (which I had never heard of before) is certainly well-priced for a Chinon. I will be going to MacArthur to do my usual fall wine sale buy sometime over the next couple of weeks and will probably pick some bottles of this, as well as the Fleurie, but if you open the Gouron in the meantime, I look forward to your notes! Thanks.