The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

[WTN] Burlotto 2006 Dolcetto D'Alba

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MattThr

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:25 am

UK

[WTN] Burlotto 2006 Dolcetto D'Alba

by MattThr » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:57 pm

I wanted to check out a Dolcetto as part of my quest to find ideal after-dinner wines, since the description of the grape made it sound ideal. This particular one was recommended to my by my local wine shop

=====

Wine is an astonishingly vibrant purple - so vivid in fact that it hardly deserves to be called a "red" wine at all!

Aroma is not terribly forthcoming. What there is reminds me of glace cherries - a little cherry, a lot of almond essence.

Flavour on the palate is equally subtle - it took quite a lot of air exposure for the tastes to really start to develop. When they came through the notes were still subdued but dominated by fruity cherry and almond with a little blackcurrant and some oak character. The wine is velvety and extremely smooth, light in both tannin and acid.

Between the light structure and the recalcitrant flavour, you might uncharitably describe this wine as "bland", or charitably as "elegant". I lean toward the latter.

=====
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: [WTN] Burlotto 2006 Dolcetto D'Alba

by Ian Sutton » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:16 pm

Matt
Good to see your Italian Odyssey continuing & the accompanying tasting notes continue to give good insight into the wines. I'll be writing some tasting notes up (sometime :oops: ) from our recent holiday in Piemonte, though most will be simple impressions or recollections. Some Dolcetto's, Barbera's and Nebbiolo's.

For a more intense version of Dolcetto, keep a look out for Marcarini Boschi di Berri from very old vines. Not too expensive at ~ £12 a bottle.

regards

Ian