The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Which wine is most ready to enjoy?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Which wine is most ready to enjoy?

by Jim Grow » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:20 pm

I will be attending a feast on this Wed. prior to traveling with my wine-loving friends to D.C. on our annual wine-buying trip. We always open some of our nicest wines at this dinner, (usually lasagna, salad, garlic bread, olive paste, etc.) and I am thinking about bringing one of the following wines. Which one would be most open and ready to enjoy? I have tried none of these. I'm leaning towards the first wine. Give me some thoughts/opinions.

2001 Beringer PR Cab.
2000 Pichon Baron
1999 Pavie
2003 Leoville Poyferre
2003 Malescot St. Exupery
1998 Jamet
2000 Jamet
2003 Jamet
:?:
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Which wine is most ready to enjoy?

by Brian K Miller » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:58 pm

While the Beringer can by reputation be cellared for a long time, I think they can also be enjoyed fairly young-especially if you prefer more "fruit" and oak. They are somewhat light and elegant wines, surprisingly. I enjoyed the 1997 and 1998 Quarry Vineyard Cabs this weekend, so the 2001 might be nice.

The 2000 Pichon, I've been informed by the shop owner where I purchased my bottle, is a 10-15 year wine. I trust him, he got me started on Bordeaux!

I've never tried the 99 Pavie, but I've had some luck recently with 1999 (and 1998) Right Bank wines, so that might be a good one, also.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:39 pm

A friend who knows I own the 99 Pavie recently mentioned that he'd had a bottle and it had come around, was showing more well-rounded fruit than we had a bottle together about 18 months ago.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:33 pm

Thanks for the comments. I'll probably go with the Beringer PR.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:02 pm

Jim - I don't know when you'll be in DC but it would be nice to meet you. Please let me know. I assume you'll visit Calvery-Woodley for their fall sale. I was there yesterday and bought a several 2004 Bordeaux as recommended in a recent post. I'd also like to point out a nice wine tasting event where I'll be pouring on Oct 27th at this link: http://www.winetasting.org/events.html
Hope to see you - JP
no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:20 am

by Nathan Smyth » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:19 pm

Whichever one you choose, I'd open it the night before, try a little sample, and then stick the cork back in the bottle.

I'm confident that almost all of those wines will taste better on Day Two, and that many of them will taste even better on Day Three.