The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Fete du Bordeaux Wine Dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Fete du Bordeaux Wine Dinner

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:33 am

Sponsored by Calvert Woodley, this was quite the swanky affair. I've never seen so many crusty old white guys crammed into one room! 210 in attendance, in addition to the "guests of honor" (Anthony Barton of Leoville Barton, Jean-Guillaume Prats of Cos d'Estournel, and Jean-Charles Cazes of Lynch-Bages).

I had nothing with which to write so I don't have detailed notes on each wine, but I do recall thinking that the '05s were more approachable than I would have thought, the food was very well paired, and my personal favorites seemed to be from Langoa Barton and Cos d'Estournel in every flight.

Lobster and Indian Summer Vegetable Salad
Blanc de Lynch-Bages 2005 (There was something unpleasant to me about this, it just tasted alcoholy and oaky with very little fruit, although the butter in the sauce did help it along).

Lamb Shoulder Crepinette, Truffled Potato
Chateau Marbuzet 205
Chateau Ormes de Pez 2005
Chateau Langoa Barton 2005
Chateau Lynch-Bages 2005
Chateau Leoville Barton 2005
Chateau Cos d’Estournel 2005

Cherry Marinated Duck Breast, Roulade of Leg Confit and Duck Liver, Fall Mushrooms
Chateau Lynch-Bages 1999
Chateau Langoa Barton 2000
Chateau Cos d’Estournel 2001

Fiscalini Bandage Wrapped Cheddar, Warm Apple
Chateau Lynch-Bages 1990
Chateau Leoville Barton 1989
Chateau Cos d’Estournel 1985 (my favorite of the evening, it had some great vegetal and bell pepper notes and went really nicely with the cheese.)

Roasted Pear w/ Hazelnut Cake, Caramel Ice Cream and Cranberry Couli
Chateau Suduiraut 1999
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Fete du Bordeaux Wine Dinner

by Dale Williams » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:27 am

Thanks for report, nice lineup. Glad to hear the 2005s are approachable. Sure they'll shut down, but nice to hear thatwe might be able to sample first.
no avatar
User

François Audouze

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:05 pm

Noisy-leSec France

by François Audouze » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:01 pm

I have attended a tasting in Paris on October 15, 2007 made by the Union des Grands Crus de Bordeaux for their 2005.
I tasted around 50 wines, and I must say that it was spectacular.
2005 is a great year, nice today, but which will become fantastic in more than ten years.
It will be in the camp of years like 1990 which are among the greatest.
I would be unable to give any "scoop", as judging such young wines is not an exercise that I practice easily.
And what is sure is that I have loved the wines that I praised before !!!!
Generally, it is a great success.
Old wines are younger than what is generally considered
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:40 pm

K - I'm glad that somebody on this board went to this event, especially that it was you! I had wanted to go very much but m,y time isn't always mine to command. I would have enjoyed meetin Anthony Barton. I see that the '04s weren't on the list but did anyone talk about them at all?