The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Tahbilk

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Nicholas Grenier

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:24 pm

Portland, ME

Tahbilk

by Nicholas Grenier » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:48 am

When doing a search for "Tahbilk" in this forum, it seems that the focus is on Marsanne and rarely Shiraz. I was hoping to find the opposite. Does anyone have thoughts on the 1996 "1860 Old Vines" Shiraz? The 97 and 98 vintages seem to garner positive reviews from somewhat recent Cellartracker posts. How does 96 compare? For $110, will I be disappointed?
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: Tahbilk

by Ian Sutton » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:21 pm

Nicholas
I wish we saw more of the Shiraz, Cabernet, Riesling, etc. but on the whole the Marsanne is the wine with the widest availability.

Hopefully some of the resident aussies will chime in with experiences - from what I read of the old vines wines from Tahbilk there are varying experiences, though they sound like my sort of wine.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:05 pm

Ian wrote......I wish we saw more of the Shiraz, Cabernet, Riesling, etc. but on the whole the Marsanne is the wine with the widest availability.

Not here in Alberta, Ian. No rep at present time so Bob H keeps rubbing it in!!
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:24 pm

Here is an old, and not very well written, write up of Tahbilk.

http://www.wineloverspage.com/user_subm ... 29065.html

I've had four bottles of Tahbilk 1860 Vines and none of them have let me down. I think I still have a bottle of the 1998...

The 1860 vines is certainly (IMO) the best of Shiraz that Australia has to offer. $110 is what these wines go for in the states (when you even see them). I'd probably look for a 1996 or 1997 Chave Hermitage, Faurie Hermitage, Jasmin Cote-Rotie, Barge Cote-Rotie, older Marc Sorrel Hermitage, Allemand Cornas and a few others at that price point - but you wont be let down by Tahbilk as long as the storage is good.

If you want, we can go halfsies on it if you are worried about the price.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Nicholas Grenier

Rank

Wine geek

Portland, ME

by Nicholas Grenier » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:42 pm

Joe,
It's from a trustworthy small distributor, but I'm going to ask them about storage anyway. It's my greatest fear when purchasing some of these older vintages, aside from overdrawing my account.
no avatar
User

Nicholas Grenier

Rank

Wine geek

Portland, ME

by Nicholas Grenier » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:57 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:on the whole the Marsanne is the wine with the widest availability.

Yet it doesn't surprise me that the Marsanne is not available in Maine and the 1860 old vines Shiraz is.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:13 pm

JoePerry wrote:Here is an old, and not very well written, write up of Tahbilk.

I've had four bottles of Tahbilk 1860 Vines and none of them have let me down. I think I still have a bottle of the 1998...

The 1860 vines is certainly (IMO) the best of Shiraz that Australia has to offer. $110 is what these wines go for in the states (when you even see them). I'd probably look for a 1996 or 1997 Chave Hermitage, Faurie Hermitage, Jasmin Cote-Rotie, Barge Cote-Rotie, older Marc Sorrel Hermitage, Allemand Cornas and a few others at that price point - but you wont be let down by Tahbilk as long as the storage is good.

Best,
Joe

Joe: If you'd ever bother to come out here and visit us (but only if you bring Amy, please), I'd let you run amuck in my little collection of Tahbilk Shiraz and Cabernet reserves---including some 1860 Vines from the 90s.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:15 pm

Hoke wrote:
JoePerry wrote:Here is an old, and not very well written, write up of Tahbilk.

Best,
Joe

Joe: If you'd ever bother to come out here and visit us (but only if you bring Amy, please), I'd let you run amuck in my little collection of Tahbilk Shiraz and Cabernet reserves---including some 1860 Vines from the 90s.

When is good for you guys? Spring?