The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '79 Clos Labere Sauternes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: '79 Clos Labere Sauternes

by Jenise » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:52 am

From half bottle. Good fresh golden color, nose of hazelnuts and navel oranges, on the palate mostly those with a tiny bit of grapefruit rind bitterness on the honeyed finish. Balanced and pleasant. Not very complex, but probably as good a bottle as one could expect, and possibly impressive, for a half bottle of this age.
Last edited by Jenise on Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: '79 Close Labere Sauternes

by Saina » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:57 pm

I've never heard of this property. Can you share more info on it?

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:48 pm

Otto, no idea. It's not listed in my (old) version of Parker's Bordeaux book. But the spelling's right, and it was definitely a Sauternes!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:07 pm

Do half bottles not age as well as full bottles? If so, why not? Is this true of all wines or just Sauternes? I have bth 375s and 750s in my cellar so I'm a little curious.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:32 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Do half bottles not age as well as full bottles? If so, why not? Is this true of all wines or just Sauternes? I have bth 375s and 750s in my cellar so I'm a little curious.

No, James. There's more surface to air uptake in a half bottle hence a faster rate of oxidation/maturity. Always drink your halves before you crack your 750's unless you've got issues with wastage - i.e. you're opening the bottle for one or two people and a full bottle would be way too much. The other trick I've learned over the years is when you need to open a 750 and don't want to consume it there and then, I quickly pour off half into a 375 screwcap glass bottle and pop it into the fridge. Days, sometimes up to a week later, the remnants generally drink very much the same as the other half of the bottle consumed after opening. I'd add a caveat though - this method doesn't always work nearly as well for older/mature table wines.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:46 pm

I'll also add, my gut feeling suggests that if the wine in question was sealed with a screwcap (where there's no/or almost no air to surface ratio) there's a far greater chance the bottles in question will develop at a very similar pace.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: '79 Clos Labere Sauternes

by James Roscoe » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:13 pm

Thanks David.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:32 pm

This minor property is owned by Rothschild (Lafite, not Mouton).

It is the third label of Rieussec after Carmes de Rieussec. It is intended for early drinking, so to show so well at that age is the greatest of good luck.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:51 pm

Bill, thanks for that information. Wasn't aware that any of the Sauternes houses had third labels--seconds, yes. It had been a gift bottle to me, so I'd never looked into it further than to determine it wasn't a distinguished property. But it served a nice purpose, we have a friend who turned 44 on Thursday but who physically hasn't aged a day past 28--the age he was when he first became a friend, and we tease him about that mightily since neither his wife nor Bob and I can make that claim. Since this would have been a birth year bottle for someone of age 28, it kept the joke going.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:01 pm

Jenise wrote:Bill, thanks for that information. Wasn't aware that any of the Sauternes houses had third labels--seconds, yes. It had been a gift bottle to me, so I'd never looked into it further than to determine it wasn't a distinguished property.

Well the property is distinguished, but the fruit is normally from young vines and may be sourced elsewhere, and the oak is less with the intention that it drink earlier.

They make the grand vin, Chateau de Cosse, Clos Labere and Mayne des Carmes, as well as 'R', a dry wine. I'm not sure it is fair to say that the Labere is a 3rd label - perhaps it is a co-second with Carmes (although that is usually regarded a bit better than Labere) and de Cosse.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:35 pm

Bill, sure Rieussac is distinguished, I just didn't know it was connected with that property and attempts to discover more led nowhere. Well, until I posted this and you came along. :)