The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Usual Suspects

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

TN: Usual Suspects

by Mark S » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:53 pm

Italy and France are such fall-back regions, perhaps because they are so appealing and prolific. Plus, a hidden Austrian. Ahh....SUS-SPENSE!

Paul Bara, Champagne, 'Grand Rosé' Brut NV
Poulsard-like color (orange onion skin); Raspberry, limeaide nose, along with planed balsam wood; Light raspberry-lime with a mineral finish. Not revealing a lot of complexity. Fair. B

Chateau Rieussec, Bordeaux blanc sec, 'R', 2001
Who knew they made a DRY wine in this fantastic Sauternes vintage? Brassy gold colored, with lanolin and lemony fig aromas. Viscous, figgy lanolin and lemon furniture polish, wet wool aspects. Surprisingly rather full-bodied and probably at peak now. B+

Alex Gambal, Nuits St. Georges, 'les Mu..', 1999
I think the label said 'Murgers' or similar, bottle got tossed i nthe recycling hamper so I'm not sure. Darkly colored black cherry. Black cherry and smoke on the nose, in the mouth some sour cherry, kirsch, Asian spices. Pretty full-bodied, with chewy tannins. B+/A-

Domaine Mourgues du Gres, Vin de Pays du Gard, 'Terre d'Argence', 2004
Probably easier to say a blend of rousanne, viognier, and grenache blanc. Bronzy deep gold color. Exotic full-blown aromas of mashed ripe mangos stweing in coconut flavored rhum, along with guanabana. Ripe peach flesh, soursop, guava in a smoky distillate. Rich, ripe and full bodied, finishes a tad on the blowsy side, with little acid structure at all, but does come across as pure and well done. Best drunk now. Use where you would a decadent Alsatian pinot gris. This did well with a shrimp and vegetable pasta dish. B+/A-

Mas Amiel, Maury, 'Vintage Reserve', 2001 Smells like used roast coffee grounds and a slight Ben Gay ointment aromas. Black raspberry mash and greengage plum on the finish, followed by roast coffee. Beautiful and youthful. Almost reciotto like, and at 16% alcohol, better balanced than many New World 'table' wines. A-

Pio Cesare, Barolo, 1998
Spicy floral cake aromas. Cherry, licorice, tarred poultry feathers. Still chewy at the moment, but at a good place right now and for several more years at least. Better than previous bottle. B+

Fernando Zanusso - I Clivi, Colli Orientali del Fruili, 'Galea', 1998
Merlot from this renowned white wine producer. Dark cranberry red color with slight bricking. Teaberry, woodspice, and a fungal component (wood ear?) on the nose. Elderberry, spiced plums, and fresh red fruit with an indescribable umami characteristic. Tannins very present on the finish. 13.5% A very nice merlot. A-

Stefano Mancinelli, Lacrima di Morro d'Alba, 2005
Medium light red color, with purplish highlights. Very floral aromatics, especially violets. Like drinking pressed violets in a light red fruit sauce, slight muskiness on the lightly tannic finish. B+

Giacomo Conterno, Barolo, 'Cascina Francia', 1998
Light crushed strawberry-cherry color. Not displaying much of a nose, beyond a light floralness. This mid-light weight Barolo displays an etheral elegance and lightness of being, a wine to drink for it's purity. Feels more like a light Mondeuse than a nebbiolo. The next day, this falls apart precipitously, so enjoy for the moment. A-

Palari, Sicilia, Rosso del Soprano, 2003 Color a light see-thru faded strawberry. Aromas of old spice cake, stewed tobacco, dried hibiscus and persimmon, echoing on the palate. Tannins grip on the finish. I think I enjoyed the 2002 of this better. Seemed to be a more complete wine, but this is still such a good blend here. B+

Nigl, Kremstal, Kremsleiten, Riesling, 2005 Bright white pale gold. Lime blossom and grapefruit, on the nose and in the mouth, along with marble counter top and a white pepper finish. Could be a 'new concept' Muscadet for all I know. 13.5% B+