The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

[WTN] Loosen Bros 2006 'Dr. L' Riesling

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MattThr

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:25 am

UK

[WTN] Loosen Bros 2006 'Dr. L' Riesling

by MattThr » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:16 pm

This is another first time varietal for me. I'd always avoided German wines because of dreadful experiences with cheap and nasty brands back in my youth. Riesling was suggested as another good after-dinner wine, and on asking in my local wine shop this was suggested as a good "entry level" (for which read "cheap") example.

=====

The wine has a curious smell, apple with a metallic edge and a little hint of super-sweet banana.

The palate hits you with an immediate rich-mouth filling fruity sweetness of such intensity that it's hard to pick out individual flavour. This is rapidly cut across by refreshing, lemony, steely acidity. The overall effect of this quick switch leaves a slightly effervescent sensation in the mouth, followed by a short finish which harks back to the sweet introduction.

I feel compelled to note that the intensity of both the sugar and acid in the wine mean it's considerably more flavourful than the tastes recorded would suggest. Quite a bargain at £6 at bottle.
Last edited by MattThr on Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: [WTN] Loosen Bros 2006 'Dr. L' Riesling

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:57 pm

Matt, good note. The spritz on entry is something others have noted here in TNs submitted.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

Re: [WTN] Loosen Bros 2006 'Dr. L' Riesling

by Bruce Hayes » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:20 pm

Always a good buy...that and the Gunderloch Jean Baptiste. I had a bottle of Dr. L. this week, but I can't recall the vintage...probably 2005.