The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Musar Rouge 2000 (long/boring/introspective)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Musar Rouge 2000 (long/boring/introspective)

by Saina » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:35 pm

BenRo gave me a bottle of the Musar Rouge 2000 when he was here. I've been itching to open it for several days but haven't had time to have a proper meal until today.

"Only" 13,5% abv on the label. Compared to the '99, this is a lighter, brighter style. Where the '99 was full of darker fruit tones, this is red and berried. Where the '99 was full of sweet fruit and warm aromatics, this comes across as savoury and cool. This is vegetal and slightly leafy. I don't usually like to play the game of saying that Musar tastes like this or that type of wine, but I'll do an exception here. The brightness and relative transparentness of the nose was almost Burgundian.

I usually find that Musar relies more on acidity to provide structure rather than tannins. The '00 is however surprisingly tannic for Musar - I really like the grip here! It also has fair acidity and lots of sweet, bright and red fruit. Long, satisfying aftertaste.

But now for some philosophical problems. It all reads like I should find this one of the best Musars made, and, indeed, I do like it very much. Yet I still found the '99 a better Musar. Why? I tend to prefer brighter, lighter wines to heavy, sweetly fruity ones. So why is it that with Musar, I find a sweet and heavy one works better? It seems illogical to me. Now I am all for drinking just what I like, and will continue to do so, but I can't help wondering about this and other paradoxes of my taste (like why do I like Port so much when that is thick, heavy, sweet and certainly not an acid forward wine).

Perhaps I shouldn't so concern myself with what seem like contradictions in taste, but should just enjoy what I enjoy. So yes, I like this wine and really hope that it becomes available in Finland.

-Otto-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: Musar Rouge 2000 (long/boring/introspective)

by James Roscoe » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:20 pm

Are you saying we should look for it? I will see if the Wine Source in Baltimore has some. In checking the cellar it looks like I have the 2003. I will save it for your visit in 2009, or whenever you get over here.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Musar Rouge 2000 (long/boring/introspective)

by Saina » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:36 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Are you saying we should look for it? I will see if the Wine Source in Baltimore has some. In checking the cellar it looks like I have the 2003. I will save it for your visit in 2009, or whenever you get over here.

Yes, you should look for it. But it you can't have the '03 in your cellar because it isn't released yet - it must be the Cuvée Musar or the Hochar Père et Fils. Whichever, I would love to share a bottle of Musar with you, but I think you might have to take one of those cheap Lufthansa flights over to Helsinki! :)

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.