The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

BR: To Cork Or Not To Cork by George Tabor

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

BR: To Cork Or Not To Cork by George Tabor

by TomHill » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:05 pm

Nearly done on this new book about the closure controversy and corks. I must say, much like The Botanist & The Vintner, this is an absolutely riveting read on a pretty esoteric subject.
It does a remarkable job in putting the whole movement into perspective and a time chronology. I thought it shows a very non-judgemental and even-handed treatment on the subjuct. Unlike most writers on the subject, he doesn't have an agenda, hidden or otherwise. It's easy to characterize the Portugese & French cork producers for their monopoly and the (early) less than proactive stance on addressing the TCA problem, not to mention their, at times, heavy-handed propoganda on the subject, but the book seems to indicate that they're doing their damndest to deal with the problem now.
Anyway...an absolutely fascinating read and highly recommended. I was originally reluctant to buy his Judgement of Paris book because it sounded like a pretty dreary read, but, based on this book, am now having second thoughts.
TomHill