The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: California

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: California

by Rahsaan » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:52 am

Since I’m in California, I figured I might as well drink some Californian wine from time to time.

2002 Edmunds St. John California Syrah “The Shadow”
Needs several hours of air to come together (Steve explains that after sitting in tank for so many years it will be a permanently cranky wine), but once it does come together it shows the same reliable floral, mid-weight CA syrah pleasure that it always has. Delicious.

2004 Edmunds St. John “Rocks and Gravel”
Peppery and spicy with more funk and less of the warm lush fruit found in the 2005. This is a lot better on the second day, when the fruit has filled in, although it is always framed by those minty spicy notes. Nice wine, although I’ll probably weight future purchases in favor of the 2005.

2005 Edmunds St. John “Rocks and Gravel”
This is rocking and rolling from the corkpull. Ripe, juicy, lush, but with freshness, balance, herbs, garrigue, whatever you want to call it, this is nice wine!

2005 Edmunds St. John Syrah “Wylie Fenaughty”
Lovely ripe, typical ESJ syrah fruit, showing good balance and good future potential, although probably needs way more air than I gave it, and I’m guessing my future bottles should either be buried in the cellar or tasted on day two. This one never made it that far because it was still pretty darn tasty even if young, but make a mental note for the future.

1997 Newton Cabernet Sauvignon Unfiltered “Le Puzzle”
Rest assured that I did not purchase this wine. Rather, it was discovered in my basement and we opened it with great curiosity about whether it was heat-damaged or not. Unfortunately, when it showed thick, rich, and without any semblance of tannins or a finish, I could not be sure whether that was a function of heat damage or the way the wine was made. Either way, not at all my style. (Although others at the table found it very “complex”)

1996 Heitz Wine Cellars Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
This was found along with the Newton, and was much much better. Gains balance and weight with air, and in fact has a thicker body than I might normally like. But, it never becomes “jammy” and has nice cedary notes to keep me interested. I helped finish the bottle.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: California

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:05 pm

it will be a permanently cranky wine
I always cringe when I see "pop and pour" reviews of Shadow as the reviewer typically dislikes it for being monolithic. What a difference a few hours can make!

Looks like I may need to place an order for assorted '05's soon. Thanks, Rahsaan.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:11 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:Looks like I may need to place an order for assorted '05's soon. Thanks, Rahsaan.

Go for it. I only tasted the 05 Bassetti briefly, but it looks good as well, of course.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:51 pm

Heitz Wine Cellars has always been a very consistant winemaker, IMHO.

Relatively small lots and big, bold wines.

:D
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:27 am

I'm gonna go to Napa this weekend to pick up a bottle of the new Heitz Petit Verdot 2005 release. What a juicy, voluptuous purple wine (in a good way, not a Parker points way!)!

Has anyone tried a post-Phylloxera version of Martha's Vineyard? I know Jenise likes Martha's? I think it's everything past about 1998????
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:34 am

I think 1996 was the last release before they had to replant.
Decisions are made by those who show up