The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Enhancer....?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TimMc

Wine Enhancer....?

by TimMc » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:58 pm

Have you guys heard about this yet?

Gotta be a gimmick of some sort.....the Chia Pet of wine:

(Link to scam product removed by editing)
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Wine Enhancer....?

by Mark Lipton » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:27 am

TimMc wrote:Have you guys heard about this yet?

Gotta be a gimmick of some sort.....the Chia Pet of wine:

Not only have I heard of it, but I've engaged in an exchange of nasty emails with its creator after publicly ridiculing the original Wine Enhancer. Mr. Catania, if you're reading this, I stand by my previous comments.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:24 am

Tim,
A while ago we had a thread about posting URLs. When you post a very long URL, such as in this post, it all remains in one line, thus making the window of your thread stretch out and a bottom scroll bar appear. To avoid this, do the following:
1. Enter (or paste) the URL.
2. Highlight the URL and click on the URL button.
NOTE: For demonstration, I'm substituting ( and ) for [ and ] .
Your message will show the URL with (url) before and (/url) after.
(url)www.mylink.com(/url)
3. Edit the URL by substituting the first ) with =
4. Place a ) just before the (/url).
5. Between the ) and the ( enter text to rename your link.
For instance: (url=www.mylink.com)My Special Link(/url)
6. You can then click on Preview or Post and your link will be displayed as:
My Special Link
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:52 am

From the web site:

• This small copper wine enhancer brightens and smoothes the taste of your reds and whites, and mellows your coffees, water, beers, sakes, fine cognacs and single malt scotches
• Makes young wines ready to drink in minutes without years of aging; releases fruit in both the bouquet and the taste
• Delivers longer finish and lessens burn, astringency and chalky feeling on the tongue; helps alleviate red wine headaches
• Releases the flavor and complexities of the wine; smoothes the burn in all spirits

Tim-

I don't follow...what about this seems gimmicky to you?

Matt

ps Damn, why isn't there an emoticon for friendly sarcasm?
Last edited by Matt Richman on Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:53 am

By the way, I bet at least six people on this board will get this for Christmas.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:20 am

Howie Hart wrote:Tim,
A while ago we had a thread about posting URLs. When you post a very long URL, such as in this post, it all remains in one line, thus making the window of your thread stretch out and a bottom scroll bar appear. To avoid this, do the following:

Thanks, Howie. I really hope everyone will read that. If you're thinking about posting a really long URL that will stretch the window and mess up the forum display, please embed it; and if you don't remember how to do that, please ask.

Anyway, I went into Tim's post with the idea of editing his window-breaking act of linkage, but when I realized it was for the Catania "crystal," I decided to simply delete the link instead. There's no point in either making it easy for folks to be separated from their money or to help boost the "Enhancer's" google stature with a link.

Folks may recall that I wrote a Wine Advisor article about those things about a year ago, and Mr. Catania actually came on to the forum and accused me of fibbing about the ineffectiveness of his device. :D
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:33 am

Robin,

Please add a "How do I embed a link" to the FAQ. I don't see the topic in the FAQ listing.

David
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:43 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Please add a "How do I embed a link" to the FAQ. I don't see the topic in the FAQ listing.

Good idea, but not too easy to implement ... the FAQ comes with the software and is boilerplate. I remember making a change in it once, though, so I know it can be done. I'll look at this over the weekend if I can.

Meanwhile, though, note that by hovering your mouse over ALL the buttons on the reply/post entry field, you can get a little tip about how to use it. Put your mouse on the URL button (without clicking) and you get a short but neatly concise instruction.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:12 am

Matt Richman wrote:By the way, I bet at least six people on this board will get this for Christmas.

I'll need your address...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:53 am

Certain metal objects brought into contact with a wine can alter its taste by bringing about chemical changes in the wine. (Must of us here are familiar with the copper penny phenomena). If you drop this copper gadget into your glass of wine and leave it there for a “period of time” (pretty long time) it could eventually alter the taste of the wine. Both copper and silver can remove those “stinky sulfur” odors, and since these chemical reactions are oxidative (actually redox reactions), so-called “aging” of the wine may be experienced. These reactions however are not spontaneous and they do take time. The wine itself must also be in “contact” with the metal object.
Being an amateur home winemaker I like the idea of being “in control” (knowing, however most of the time I’m not), I don’t like doing anything “un-measurable” to my wines. Placing a metal object into a wine can release “un-predictable’ amounts of metal to a wine which can be harmful.

Salute
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:13 am

Victorwine wrote:Placing a metal object into a wine can release “un-predictable’ amounts of metal to a wine which can be harmful.

Victor, these scams don't come in contact with the wine! They purportedly work from outside the bottle or glass by focusing "magnetism" or even more woo-woo stuff like cosmic vibrations to bear on the wine, working mysterious (and top-secret, allegedly patented) magic.

A fool and his money ...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:14 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Meanwhile, though, note that by hovering your mouse over ALL the buttons on the reply/post entry field, you can get a little tip about how to use it. Put your mouse on the URL button (without clicking) and you get a short but neatly concise instruction.

So there are two little instructions when you hover over the URL button - the second one is the embedded link version?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:21 am

David M. Bueker wrote:So there are two little instructions when you hover over the URL button - the second one is the embedded link version?

Correctamundo!

Another example, using an actual sample link, and "(" replacing the required "[" so the code will show:

(url=http://www.cnn.com")CNN News(/url)

Will yield

CNN News
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:53 am

Robin Garr wrote:Folks may recall that I wrote a Wine Advisor article about those things about a year ago, and Mr. Catania actually came on to the forum and accused me of fibbing about the ineffectiveness of his device. :D

Oh, lucky you, Robin! In my case, I had simply made a passing reference to Wilhelm Reich's Orgone boxes in a thread concerning the Wine Enhancer and that occasioned a very aggressive email from Mr. Catania in which he pointedly asked me whether I'd tried the device before criticizing it. In response, I pointed out:

1. I hadn't mentioned his device at all, merely Orgone boxes
2. I'd be happy to conduct double-blind tests of his device and publish the results on the Web, provided that he supply me with one for testing purposes
3. I was archiving all correspondence with him and would turn it in to his ISP should it cross the line into harassment.

Fortunately, I never heard back from him, so I suppose the message got through.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:04 pm

The green magic markers of the wine world.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:48 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:The green magic markers of the wine world.

I fully see your point, but Paul, that's actually not the best analogy to use because there was occasional merit in the green markers as follows.

Some of the 1980s-1990s CD transports had problems with internal reflected beams through the CD plastic disrupting synchronization. In those particular players, opaquing the edges of a CD (with a marker of the right color, or black paint) improved performance. As far as I know this is no longer a problem. (I know some engineers who demonstrated this and other "unlikely" surprises in complex audio technology.)

Before anyone responds with skepticism, I probably spent more time than anyone else refuting audio technical misinformation online in the past (except maybe Jim Johnston when he was at Bell Labs). Related thread on wine and pseudotechnical gimmicks (with some possibly familiar names) and audio parallels can be found Here.

Cheers -- M
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:42 pm

1. Enter (or paste) the URL.
2. Highlight the URL and click on the URL button.
NOTE: For demonstration, I'm substituting ( and ) for [ and ] .
Your message will show the URL with (url) before and (/url) after.
(url)www.mylink.com(/url)
3. Edit the URL by substituting the first ) with =
4. Place a ) just before the (/url).
5. Between the ) and the ( enter text to rename your link.
For instance: (url=www.mylink.com)My Special Link(/url)
6. You can then click on Preview or Post and your link will be displayed as:
My Special Link

Thanks, Howie.

I tried three different ways to get the URL to calm down but couldn't do it.

I will try this next time.

'Preciate it.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:47 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Thanks, Howie. I really hope everyone will read that. If you're thinking about posting a really long URL that will stretch the window and mess up the forum display, please embed it; and if you don't remember how to do that, please ask.

Anyway, I went into Tim's post with the idea of editing his window-breaking act of linkage, but when I realized it was for the Catania "crystal," I decided to simply delete the link instead. There's no point in either making it easy for folks to be separated from their money or to help boost the "Enhancer's" google stature with a link.

Folks may recall that I wrote a Wine Advisor article about those things about a year ago, and Mr. Catania actually came on to the forum and accused me of fibbing about the ineffectiveness of his device. :D

No problen, Robin.

Hey, it's your place I just didn't know how to make the URL behave.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:48 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Robin,

Please add a "How do I embed a link" to the FAQ. I don't see the topic in the FAQ listing.

David

Excellent suggestion, David.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:50 pm

I might also suggest that if the posts were all Threaded instead of Flat...the problem would go away.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:52 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Victorwine wrote:Placing a metal object into a wine can release “un-predictable’ amounts of metal to a wine which can be harmful.

Victor, these scams don't come in contact with the wine! They purportedly work from outside the bottle or glass by focusing "magnetism" or even more woo-woo stuff like cosmic vibrations to bear on the wine, working mysterious (and top-secret, allegedly patented) magic.

A fool and his money ...

Exactly.

A Christmas 1-800 gift like the Clapper:

Wine on, wine off...the Enhancer.