The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Does tasting wine with music change a wine's flavor?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Does tasting wine with music change a wine's flavor?

by Howie Hart » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:26 pm

Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:59 pm

Tom N. wrote:Hi Sue,

Great topic! I think so. I was at a jazz club in Montreal and I think it really enhanced the taste of the Ca Zin (can it really have been as smooth as we thought it was?) we were drinking. One question I have thought of asking in this forum is: Does your mood influence your perception of the wines you are tasting? Music affects mood. Mood can affect perception. Definitely a connection.

My point exactly.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:03 pm

In fact, I'll take it even a step further: Often I have been to tastings where the host/winery/company was just a sheer joy to be around. For the very same reasons I perceived that the wine in my glass was just superb. When I get home and some days later open up another bottle of the same vintage I am often disappointed.

Why is that? Personally, I think it is perception and mood playing tricks on my palate.

Can't explain it.

Just is.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:19 pm

You might as well add “atmosphere” to that Tim.

Salute
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:31 pm

TimMc wrote:In fact, I'll take it even a step further: Often I have been to tastings where the host/winery/company was just a sheer joy to be around. For the very same reasons I perceived that the wine in my glass was just superb. When I get home and some days later open up another bottle of the same vintage I am often disappointed.

Why is that? Personally, I think it is perception and mood playing tricks on my palate.

Can't explain it.

Just is.

Tim,

I have encountered this same phenomenon. I have shared a nice fun but simple sparkler with some friends. I described the wine to them and they really liked it.

Later they had some of the same wine (without my build up) and said it just wasn't quite as good. Anticipation and the power of suggestion can both be powerful enhancers or our enjoyment :) of a wine.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:06 am

Tom N. wrote:
TimMc wrote:In fact, I'll take it even a step further: Often I have been to tastings where the host/winery/company was just a sheer joy to be around. For the very same reasons I perceived that the wine in my glass was just superb. When I get home and some days later open up another bottle of the same vintage I am often disappointed.

Can't explain it.

Just is.

Tim,

I have encountered this same phenomenon. I have shared a nice fun but simple sparkler with some friends. I described the wine to them and they really liked it.

Later they had some of the same wine (without my build up) and said it just wasn't quite as good. Anticipation and the power of suggestion can both be powerful enhancers or our enjoyment :) of a wine.

Exactly.

The wine doesn't change but the surroundings/ambiance does.
Previous