The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Credit where it's due

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

WTN: Credit where it's due

by Hoke » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:51 pm

Sometimes you get pleasant surprises. Like when I threw in a wine snatched off the shelf to be part of my 'Chardonnay Death March'---actually a global chardonnay tasting of twelve wines blind.

I needed a South American entry so I selected Cousino-Macul Antiguas Reservas Chardonnay Maipo 2005. I'm quite familiar with the quality and style of the C-M AR Cabernet (good, rustic, old fashioned) but hadn't had the AR Chardonnay in quite some while.

Wow. The participants were quite impressed. So was I. Not over-oaked. Not over-maloed. Actually, not over-anything. Nicely balanced, fresh, zesty, acidic with citrus fruit, subdued oak, and some apple flavors rounding everything out. A very drinkable Chard, and one I would not hesitate to reccomend.

Someone even guessed "Old World". While I wouldn't go that far, I would say it was restrained, not gobby or flaccid, and had decent minerality.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: WTN: Credit where it's due

by Bob Henrick » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:19 pm

It's not often we get one like that Hoke. JB is recommending the Perrin reserve blanc so now I have a couple whites to look for. If only the weather would warm up from the mid 40's.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:32 pm

Exactly the kind of note I would expect from an agent for the Military-Industrial Wine Complex!

Attica! Attica! Attica!
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:49 am

JoePerry wrote:Exactly the kind of note I would expect from an agent for the Military-Industrial Wine Complex!

Attica! Attica! Attica!

You can call me Master Chief, Joe.