The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Hook & Ladder Wine Dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Hook & Ladder Wine Dinner

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:03 pm

Hook & Ladder Wine Dinner Presented by Michael DeLoach of DeLoach Vineyards
Amanda Amante, Rockville MD

Course 1

Baked Scallops in shell topped with a mix herb breading and wasabi cream sauce.
Hook & Ladder Tillerman White Blend (Muscat, Chardonnay and Gewurztraminer).
Good pairing.

Course 2
Gnocchi w/ Prosciutto and brown butter sauce
Hook & Ladder Chardonnay
Even better pairing. I don’t like California Chards and this was no exception, but its heavy oakiness paired brilliantly with the butter sauce and gnocchi and actually made it quite an enjoyable experience.

Course 3
Braised duck tower w/ pear chutney and demi-glace reduction
Hook & Ladder Pinot Noir
Again, not usually a big fan of Cali pinot noir but it worked just great w/ the food.

Course 4
Black peppercorn encrusted filet mignon tipped w/ lobster over rapine w/ root vegetable-barley broth
Hook & Ladder Zinfandel
The spicy notes in the zin worked in concert w/ the black peppercorn and as in all the preceeding pairings was very appropriate.

Dessert was various cookies w/ Limoncello.

I’m glad I went to this event because it helped remove some stereotypes I’ve been holding regarding food and wine. I tend to fall into a rut where I stick with only those wines that I know to be food friendly such as burgundian pinot noir, beaujolais, rustic italian wines, and dry whites with shellfish and so forth. However, the wines above went brialliantly with the food that was prepared for them.

Michael DeLoach was on hand, walking around to each table to chat and answer any questions. The pours were incredibly generous and the wait staff was quick to refill whenever anyone finished the original ½ glass they’d been given. Fun event, I understand they’re doing another in February.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Hook & Ladder Wine Dinner

by JC (NC) » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:23 am

Thanks for the notes. I might be interested in the February dinner if it doesn't coincide with the Triangle Wine Experience in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area.