The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

SacBee: MikeDunne On European Wines....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

SacBee: MikeDunne On European Wines....

by TomHill » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:32 pm

Mike Dunne, one of my favorite wine writers, has an interesting and insightful article in today's SacBee. He refers to a Frank Prial (another of my favorite writers) NYTimes column, ca. 1982, chiding the Calif winemakers for making alcoholic, overblown, soft, blowsey wines and that drinkers will turn to Europe for wines with verve and acidity. Afte tasting a tableau of KermitLynch wines in Sac, Mike is finding Prial's column still applicable to this day.
Not sure I wholely agree with his point of view, but I can certainly see part of it.
When Prial wrote that column (which I remember well because of all the fuss it stirred up on the many WineBoards then), Calif winemakers had been listening to all the whining about the alcohol levels, particularly in Zins (CharlieOlken: "brutish monsters with shabby table manners") and had cautiously stepped in the direction of so-called "food wines". In fact, many of those wines tasted thin/eviscerated/lean/lacking in flavor and, generally, not very interesting. Just about killed the Zin market in the early '80's. I sincerely hope we never return to the wines of that era in Calif.
We are, once again, seeing many of the same whines from writers (lending a historical perspective here) decrying wines with high alcohol levels and gobs of hedonistic fruit. I assert that the wines we are seeing now are far different from those in the late '70's that triggered those original whines back then.
Yup.....no denying the alcohol levels have risen over the last 10-15 yrs. But many of these big/extracted wines have a structure and a balance that you seldom saw in those excesses of the late '70's. Probably better farming for a large part.
Furthermore, the trend of the European wines has moved in the direction of gobs of hedonistic fruit and higher alcohols in many of the prestigious regions. These are the wines the critics seem to love. Still there are plenty of wines being produced over there that meet Prial's criteria. And, as well, in Calif. You just have to search them out a bit. And, certainly the wines Kermit selects mostly march to the beat of a different drummer...or he wouldn't select them.
Anyway...MikeDunne's a good read today.
TomHill

SacBee: MikeDunneColumn
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: SacBee: MikeDunne On European Wines....

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:24 pm

Agree on the article, Tom. I'll be looking for a couple of those wines to see how my palate matches up to Mike's on them.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child