The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some Germans, some Austrians, and a Champagne

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MichaelJ

Rank

Wine geek

Fri May 05, 2006 3:54 pm

Minneapolis, MN

WTN: Some Germans, some Austrians, and a Champagne

by MichaelJ » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:28 pm

La Belle Vie, the best restaurant in the region, and one of my favorites overall, had an anniversary dinner last week. It was an excuse for them to bring in Terry Theise, and have Terry bring in a bunch of wine. The menu, and the wines, were as follows:

Sweet shrimp carpaccio with radish and oestra caviar
    L. Aubry Fils, Champagne, Le Nombre d'Or, A-Jouy-Les-Reims, France, 2000

Bready/yeasty flavors dominate at first. Smooth. Spicy nut in the finish. The food takes away the yeastiness almost entirely. Very good.

Sauteed branzino with beet, fennel and mustard seed vinaigrette
    Schloss Gobelsburg, Riesling, Urgestein, Kamptal, Austria, 2006

One of the best courses of the night, and a wonderfully Austrian riesling. Very dry, although with some flowers and honey on the palate. Perfect with the vinaigrette.

Roasted veal tenderloin with caramelized sweetbreads, melted leeks, and gruyere polenta
    Schloss Gobelsburg, Gruner Veltliner, Gobelsburger, Kamptal, Austria, 2006

Very rich for a GV -- honey and passion fruit.

Agrodolce boar with cured pork belly, cardamom, and apple
    Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben, Erdener Treppchen, Riesling, Spatlese, Mose-Saar-Ruwer, Germany, 2004

Honey, flowers, and herbs. Noticeable minerality. Great acidity. Perfect foil for the pork belly.

Grilled duck breast with jerusalem artichokes, caramelized turnips, and moroccan spices
    Kruger-Rumpf, Munsterer Dautenplanzer, Riesling, Spatlese, Nahe, Germany, 2005

The course of the night. And the wine is a wow. I love it. Beautifully balanced, fruit, flowers, herb. A wow.

Intermezzo
    A.J. Adam, Dronhofberger Tholey, Rielsing, Auslese, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, Germany, 2003

An interesting wine. Hit with a strong pine/resin in the nose. A bit of resin in the mouth. A terrific minerality.

Seckel pear tart with blue cheese ice cream and caramelized onion
    Selbach-Oster, Graacher Domprobst, Rielsing, Auslese, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, Germany, 2005

I don't have any notes on this last one. A long night. :oops: It was good, I recall. :lol:

Really, it was a privilege to enjoy this meal. The wine of the night? The Kruger-Rumpf, without question. I've already sourced a case for myself.

Cheers,
Michael
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Some Germans, some Austrians, and a Champagne

by Rahsaan » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:36 am

Sounds great. And nice to show the different food-wine matching combinations and flavor variation that can be done without red wine.