The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1994 Raymond Generations ... Band Aid?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 1994 Raymond Generations ... Band Aid?

by Jason Hagen » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:31 pm

1994 Raymond Cabernet Sauvignon “Generations”
I grabbed this out of the “cellar” and was thinking it had been a gift. I had it in my mind it was a 97. I did not notice it was a 94 until halfway through my first glass. Checking my notes though I realized I picked up 2 bottles of this because of price and a high WS score. When I tried the wine in 2002, it was vegetal, tight and simple. Now there was lots of fruit and nice integration. Tannins are resolved and there is plenty of acid to keep things lively. I must say there was the smell of Band Aid ®. There was even a touch on the palate. I did not ruin the wine but it kept it from being a great wine. What is that? Brett? Just not something I have found in Cali cab. Despite that flaw the wine was still youthful but showing some aged complexity. Pleasantly surprised how this held up. 88 pts.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 1994 Raymond Generations ... Band Aid?

by Jenise » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:45 pm

If you ever find out where bandaid comes from, I'd love to know. Never have understood its origins but I've run into that in wine from time to time (most recently a 93 St. Emilion) and California wines haven't been exempt from the experience. I recall when I was a wine puppy and tasted Ridge zins the first time, I loved the Geyser Peak but all I could taste on the Lytton Springs was something I immediately recognized from way too many tomboy childhood injuries, Bactine. Others at the same tasting didn't get it--years later, I wonder if that was due to bottle variation or palate variation.