The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Need help identifying a Barolo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Adam Wolfson

Rank

Just got here

Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:23 pm

Need help identifying a Barolo

by Adam Wolfson » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:50 pm

My wife and I dined at our friends' place last night. Sometime during the evening, our hostess asked if we would like some wine and opened a bottle of Barolo. It was delicious. As her husband came back to the table, she said, "Honey, this bottle is wonderful." He looked at it and, mustering a smile, said, "Oh, I definitely know that."

My wife and I felt bad because we didn't know what wine she had opened until this comment, and it was clear that it was something he had been saving. (We were only over for a quick bite, nothing fancy.) I glanced over at the bottle and noticed it was a 1995 vintage.

We would like to replace the bottle and have no idea what the name is. I know that it has a black label with perhaps gold and red trim, and has a white mask (something sort of like the Phantom of the Opera) just below the winemaker's name.

Any ideas what this might be? We've been searching all morning. Thanks!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Need help identifying a Barolo

by Bob Henrick » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:45 pm

Adam, first welcome to the WLDG, and I hope you do get a definitive answer to your problem,.I am wondering though, if the husband did not say something later to his wife about which bottle she opened. I suspect he did, and probably impressed upon her that some are ok to open, and others are not. In doing that I bet he mentioned which wine this was. Is it possible that your wife could speak to her asking the name of the wine? she might not tell her that you want to replace the wine, but that you want to look for it. Be aware though that this is probably going to be a pretty expensive bottle, and might be even a <b>DAMNED</B> expensive! :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:59 pm

Adam Wolfson wrote:Any ideas what this might be? We've been searching all morning. Thanks!

Adam, it's certainly thoughtful of you to want to replace the wine! Unfortunately, your description isn't ringing any bells with me either, but hang on, there are some real Barolo experts around here, and given time, someone may come up with it.

Here's one from Seghesio with a black label and a fancy script S - is there any possibility you might have mistaken it for a face mask?

Alternatively, here's a link that will bring up quite a few 1995 Barolos on Wine-Searcher.com, so you can at least get an idea of what the market is like:

<b>1995 Barolo</b>

As BobH points out, some collectible Barolos can be mighty spendy, but many of them will go in the $30 to $50 range, which isn't cheap but won't break the bank.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:40 pm

I also can't help. I do know one Piedmont wine with a mask on label- Il Mimo from Cantalupo- but its a rosé you wouldn;t have mistaken for Barolo!

Admirable that you would like to replace, but certainly not your responsibility. I have a designated rack that Betsy knows is "free game."
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:00 am

Adam, it sounds like you are not even 100% sure it was a mistake. Either way if I were the host I'd be rather embarrassed if you were to return a bottle of wine I had served you.

In my experience, wine lovers are usually more than happy to share wine with friends. Cost is not so much an issue. The knowledge that the wine is being appreciated is. It sounds like you enjoyed the wine, and I hope you said you did. I'm sure that would have counted for a lot.

I'd rather suggest you invite them over and serve another nice bottle (definitely NOT the same one) to them. I wouldn't wory about matching it dollar for dollar either. Maybe something else interesting from Italy if they like Italian wines - but at this point, presuming you are from the US, I'd have to let others help you out on that one.

(And, no, I'm sorry but I don't recognise the label either. If you get no positive IDs maybe the wine wasn't that expensive anyway. Doesn't mean it was not good and/or prized.)
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:32 am

Here is a list of '95 Barolos on CellarTracker - there is a small camera icon on many which shows the label. This is the biggest collection of '95 Barolo labels I've seen, so hopefully you find it there!

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:38 pm

Ditto others comments about not replacing it - there is nothing more that rewards a wine enthusiast than seeing the spark that lights (or the fanning of) the flame of interest in others. The biggest reward to your friends will be to share an interest in wine.

I'm sure I've seen the label you're talking about - in fact quite recently when we spent a few days in Barolo / La Morra. I can't recall it, but then again we did see a lot of bottles. When somebody does name it I'm sure I'll be :oops:

Peter May might be the person to answer this teaser - as labels are very much his thing http://www.winelabels.org/book

Maybe a good idea of 'returning the favour' would be a bottle of Barbaresco (the 'sister' wine region to Barolo, using the same grape). The co-op (Produttori del Barbaresco) produce some great wine, including single vineyard reserve bottlings that offer great value for money (in a region where this is often not the case).

... and welcome Adam!

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Frank Drew

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:14 pm

Virginia

by Frank Drew » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:28 pm

I'll echo Ian's suggestion; it's a very nice gesture to send a thank-you bottle to people who've offered you hospitality but replacing the exact bottle they served isn't necessary. There were very good to great vintages in the Piedmont (Barolo/Barbaresco, etc.) from 1996 through 2001, so there are potentially lots of wines, in lots of price brackets, to choose from. If your host is really into the category, he'd certainly know, and appreciate, any of Produttori's single vineyard (cru) Barbarescos, which have the added advantage of being reasonably priced, as these things go.