The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Brewer-Clifton Pinot Noir Rancho Santa Rosa

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 2004 Brewer-Clifton Pinot Noir Rancho Santa Rosa

by Jason Hagen » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:53 pm

• 2004 Brewer-Clifton Pinot Noir Rancho Santa Rosa - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills (11/10/2007)
    Had not tried this bottling so I thought I should open one. This one I decided to give a decant. Poured a small glass and left for 20 minutes. First impression ... STEMS ... somewhat green stems. An aromatic I usually love but this was a little much. The first sip was bitter stems with crushed olives followed by tannin. Not enough acid to wake it up. ... Off to cook dinner ... Is the evening went on the wine improved greatly ... but still not achieving what I would expect from a B-C. Maybe it is just that the dang 2004 vintage sucks! Even the best of them are only making good wine. The wine is nice through the mid palate. Dark fruits and a nice amount of minerals. The finish held the lingering minerals. I enjoyed this but probably not for everyone. Another year might bring some improvement but with the lack of acidic backbone ... I doubt it will go to long. My score reflects the strength the wine showed through the mid palate. 88 pts. (88 pts.)

Cheers,
Jason
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: 2004 Brewer-Clifton Pinot Noir Rancho Santa Rosa

by James Dietz » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:26 am

I wonder if it is the Rancho Santa Rosa fruit...who else makes Pinot from that site other than B-C and Foley?? And the Foley's have been very hit and miss for me...

Green stems are not good...
Cheers, Jim