The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Matrot Volnay-Santenots 2004

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

WTN: Matrot Volnay-Santenots 2004

by Hoke » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:34 pm

A business dinner in Salt Lake City (albeit with wine geeks and ITBs), so we go to Spencer's.

This serves as a reminder not to surrender readily to stereotypes or make hasty assumptions. Because Spencer's, a downtown Hilton hotel steak house restaurant, is superb. One of the best steaks I've had in the US.

And also because, while Utah/SLC is not exactly considered the bastion of great wine selections because of the repressive and downright weird Mormon-inspired wine laws, you never know where you'll find the little gems and jewels.

They don't make it easy to get great wines in Utah. There, wine stewards and sommeliers have to work hard to get and keep the good stuff. One such hard worker is Louis, a young but earnest and talented sommelier at Spencer's who takes his vocation very seriously and spends a lot of time building the best wine list he can.

As often happens, the list is passed to me. I start wading through the obligatory steak house Cabernets and Zinfandels, while realizing that the usual suspects are there but there are some really nice selections studded throughout. Then, much to my delight, I discover Louis has an innate understanding of how nice good Pinot Noir can be with good steak.

Shazaam! A moderately priced (all things considered) Matrot Volnay-Santenots 2004!!! Put the list away, look no further, this is it. Louis beams in adoring approval. My knowledgeable and attractive table mate (the female one) touches my arm and breathes a quiet "Thank you."

The wine, when it arrives, is all we expected it to be. As Burgundian as can be, with a clear, precise acidity, purity of cherry/berry fruit, silky texture and earthy nuanes lurking the the prodigious depths. Young, yes, but nonetheless remarkable.

Hedonism these days seems to be preempted by the gobbistas. Not sure quite how that happened (well, no, maybe I am sure, but let that pass), but THIS is truly a hedonistic wine, despite having no gobs or blobs to speak of. This wine appeals to all the senses, because it has definition...what some people call 'cut'... and precision and clarity of expression, with an intense laserlike purity of varietal character.

This is one of those wines you usually find when you're close to the end of your maximum frustration level with Burgundy, tired of pursuing the phantasm you glimpsed so many wines ago and haven't experienced in the longest time, and you're tired of the chase and the expense....

Now I only wish I had a case of it, so I could pace the development of this wine. Because I know when I go back to SLC, it won't be ther anymore. It was merely a phantasm.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: WTN: Matrot Volnay-Santenots 2004

by Bob Henrick » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:59 pm

Nice report Hoke, I do get tired of kissing frogs when I am seeking Burg, or even pinot noir in general. If you want some of this though you might find it at K&L, click the link below.

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1026960
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Matrot Volnay-Santenots 2004

by Dale Williams » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:37 pm

thanks for notes. I really like Matrot's whites, but have little experience with the reds. Will pay more attention.

Certainly Burgundy is famous for their Charolais, and plenty of steaks on offer there, but I confess I'm one of those who prefer Bdx varieties with my rare meat, in general.