The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

eBob/Squires Refugee

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ken E.

Rank

Just got here

Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:58 pm

Suffragette City

eBob/Squires Refugee

by Ken E. » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:55 pm

Hello all!

I've been a member of the Squires board for a few years now, but in light of recent events I have decided to "take my business elsewhere" so to speak. I'm not going to sling mud in Mark's general direction, but I'd rather not be part of a public community where the moderator feels that he has to threaten his entire membership base with criminal and/or civil action.

I really like the vibe of this board, and I'm looking forward to discussing wine with everyone here!

Ciao...
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: eBob/Squires Refugee

by Bob Henrick » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:10 pm

Ken E. wrote:Hello all!
I've been a member of the Squires board for a few years now, but in light of recent events I have decided to "take my business elsewhere" so to speak. I'm not going to sling mud in Mark's general direction, but I'd rather not be part of a public community where the moderator feels that he has to threaten his entire membership base with criminal and/or civil action.

I really like the vibe of this board, and I'm looking forward to discussing wine with everyone here!

Welcome to the group Ken. I have been here since about day one, and I like the vibes here too.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

by Ed Draves » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:13 pm

Welcome Ken,
I've posted there as well. I like the sense of community here and we discuss a lot of different wines here as well. I hope you have the same great experiences here as I've had.
Ed
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:15 pm

Welcome Ken. I've been here for about 4 years and have never felt the need to explore other boards. I've learned a lot here and made some very nice friends here and have met many of them in person. If you enjoy it here half as much as I do, you'll have some good times and meet some nice folks.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:05 pm

Welcome Ken. I have no idea what you're talking about, but we're glad you're here! :D
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:16 pm

Welcome, Ken! Glad you found your way here, and hope you'll hang around. We don't do gurus, but we like to think we're a pretty friendly community of wine-loving peers.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:55 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Welcome, Ken! Glad you found your way here, and hope you'll hang around. We don't do gurus, but we like to think we're a pretty friendly community of wine-loving peers.
Maybe we don't do gurus, but there are some folks here with great experise in somewhat narrow areas of the wine world and I respect their judgement in those areas.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:26 am

Welcome Ken, great bunch here and everyone is most social. There are some real experts here, some great TNs, some marvellous threads. Where are you?
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:53 am

Welcome, Ken! Sounds like you did not have a good experience where you were. There are many winegeeks with the utmost integrity on this board - hope you enjoy your stay here! 8)
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:55 am

Ken, welcome aboard.... I didnt know that recent events had turned so "ugly" over there. Im also a participant on the Squires board but Ive not been very active lately... is there a link someone can provide so I can catch up on what happened?
Alejandro Audisio - drink wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes!!!
ITB in Buenos Aires, Argentina
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

by Ed Draves » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:12 am

Alejandro Audisio wrote:Ken, welcome aboard.... I didnt know that recent events had turned so "ugly" over there. Im also a participant on the Squires board but Ive not been very active lately... is there a link someone can provide so I can catch up on what happened?

There is a sticky, locked post in the social hall. I don't know the background of what is happening.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:18 am

Robin Garr wrote: We don't do gurus, ...

I thought we are annointed "Wine Guru" upon reaching the 100 post plateau?
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:49 am

Redwinger wrote:

Redwinger

Well, yeah, but that's a different kind of guru. It's a democratic (lower-case d) guruship that anyone can achieve. A guru without followers! :D
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:03 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Redwinger wrote:...A guru without followers! :D
Is that like a one goose flock?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:27 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Redwinger wrote:

Redwinger

Well, yeah, but that's a different kind of guru. It's a democratic (lower-case d) guruship that anyone can achieve. A guru without followers! :D

Bob Ross being the one exception to the rule. He is amazing with the information he can get!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:57 am

Ken
A warm welcome.

The two forums are very much chalk and cheese, which is all the more interesting as there are a few who post on both boards. I could never see myself registering for that forum, but do pop over to read the odd 'train-crash' thread to remind myself why :lol:

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Bonnie in Holland

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:35 am

The Netherlands

by Bonnie in Holland » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:12 pm

Ken, a hearty welcome to you! This group is a little different from those blokes over there - great that you're here! cheers, Bonnie
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:17 pm

Wow!
This is quite an amazing posting by the moderator (sic.) of that forum. I liked the bit about being 'accessory to the fraud' for posting in the same thread as someone using a pseudonym.

Well worth a read and thanks for the tip off.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Frank Drew

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:14 pm

Virginia

by Frank Drew » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:15 pm

I think this somewhat mischaracterizes the events over there, at least from what I understand.

Mark Squires is very aggressive about fraudulent posting on his board; he has an explicitly stated real names policy that I believe he makes every effort to enforce, so takes personally any attempt to violate that policy. The latest incident apparently involved an individual who'd had his posting privileges revoked some time in the past reposting under a false name, with several other posting members, allegedly in on the scam, playing along. [I don't know who the poster was, what his previous violation had been, or who was or wasn't in on this with him.]

At any rate, Mark Squires found out about what was going on, eliminated the thread (I never saw it and wasn't aware of it), and posted a note to all members STRONGLY reminding them of the rules on the board, with special attention to the dire consequences that he'd try to visit on any future violators. As I read it he was directing his ire towards those he felt had been complicit in the transgression, rather than threatening his entire membership.

There are genuine style differences between this and Mark Squires' board, but both offer genuine value -- although to different audiences for the most part -- and both Robin and Mark are performing genuine public services by hosting these discussion boards. There have been potshots between the two sites in the past but I don't think those served anyone's interest and I'd hate to see that start up again.
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:41 pm

Frank, I could not agree more. Taking shots at other boards strikes me a puerile and a waste of time. I read and post on many boards.

BTW, Serge was banned here also and I doubt many want him back. While he was posting under a nom de board on Squires he was fairly toned down, but I remember one thread where I was tempted to ask if Norbert was Serge, but didn't want to start a firestorm. I guess I should have known since he pulled the same stunt--pretending to have health problems to cover his awful spelling, Serge is a disgusting person--on the WS boards.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:45 pm

Frank Drew wrote:... both Robin and Mark are performing genuine public services by hosting these discussion boards.

I agree. Though some people say they'll have nothing to do with Mark Squires's board because of his editorial views, and though I have argued with him about those myself, a wide range of people post there; a forum with wide participation is a service to the community of wine lovers.

Below, something I posted elsewhere once on the thankless contribution of forum moderators.

--
When you see what a cesspool you get with unmoderated fora, you become tolerant of the human imperfections of moderators, and appreciative of their work.
no avatar
User

Ken E.

Rank

Just got here

Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:58 pm

Suffragette City

by Ken E. » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:38 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I certainly have no intention of creating friction between this board and eBob. I know nothing about the person in question, but I know that there were many, many people that we aware of it.

This was just the last straw for me. Discussions that too often turned pedantic, troll-like behavior from the moderator, and just a bad vibe overall for me.

I just want to share and learn more about wine from people that have been doing this longer than I have, that's all. Thanks again for the welcome....
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:50 pm

Welcome Ken! I used to be there too, but lately have almost dropped out (Musary stuff seems to be excepted) for similar reasons. This is a friendly place, so I hope you enjoy it and stay!

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:28 pm

Ken, I think you'll find this to be a fine, civil community of wine lovers. Opinions vary and sometimes passionate disagreements can take place, but that's a normal part of life! So to add to that which everyone else has written, here's a warm welcome to you.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
Next