The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

eBob/Squires Refugee

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: eBob/Squires Refugee

by Paul B. » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:28 pm

Ken, I think you'll find this to be a fine, civil community of wine lovers. Opinions vary and sometimes passionate disagreements can take place, but that's a normal part of life! So to add to that which everyone else has written, here's a warm welcome to you.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:45 pm

Gidday Ken,
Welcome to WLDG and if you ever want any low down on New Zealand wines, then I'd be happy to help.
Cheers!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:05 pm

I'll add my welcome to Ken.

And agree with Frank, Max, and Dan. I've never seen posts about another forum (anywhere) that reflected more poorly on the forum being discussed than the ones making comments.

Frank Drew wrote: There have been potshots between the two sites in the past but I don't think those served anyone's interest and I'd hate to see that start up again.

Dan Donahue wrote:Frank, I could not agree more. Taking shots at other boards strikes me a puerile and a waste of time. I read and post on many boards.BTW, Serge was banned here also and I doubt many want him back.

Max Hauser wrote:--
When you see what a cesspool you get with unmoderated fora, you become tolerant of the human imperfections of moderators, and appreciative of their work.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:37 pm

Ken E. wrote:Hello all!

...but I'd rather not be part of a public community where the moderator feels that he has to threaten his entire membership base with criminal and/or civil action.

W-w-what???

Man, it has been looong time since I've read that bored, but then, nothing would surprise me, as he banned me from there after only a few posts. Lawyers will be lawyers...
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:53 pm

Mark S wrote:W-w-what???

Man, it has been looong time since I've read that bored, but then, nothing would surprise me, as he banned me from there after only a few posts. Lawyers will be lawyers...

Is it possible that "banned at eBob" will take on the same cachet as "banned in Boston" did a generation or two ago? :wink:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:03 pm

By the way - Mark quoted his FAQ. While people may not like his policy, it has been there a long time. It was not a threat, merely a restatement of the board rules after there was an egregious breaking of said rules to get a person (who is admittedly a royal pain in the #$%^&*) onto the board.

Robin - while it's nice to welcome people to the board (and a hearty welcome from me as well) I really believe that some of the content of this thread reflects very poorly on the WLDG & you might consider pulling it.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:27 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Robin - while it's nice to welcome people to the board (and a hearty welcome from me as well) I really believe that some of the content of this thread reflects very poorly on the WLDG & you might consider pulling it.

David, two quick comments:

1. I don't see anything here that's really rough. Certainly it would be a whole lot hotter if I had chosen to express *my* opinion. I've taken care not to do that.

2. You know that I rarely if ever pull or otherwise censor threads here. That's one of the many policies that sets us well apart from ... well, you know.

This thread is fine. If it starts to degenerate into serious bashing, I'll consider posting a "hey, let's keep it nice, boys and girls," but at this point I don't see it coming even close to needing that.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:26 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:By the way - Mark quoted his FAQ. While people may not like his policy, it has been there a long time. It was not a threat, merely a restatement of the board rules after there was an egregious breaking of said rules to get a person (who is admittedly a royal pain in the #$%^&*) onto the board.

Robin - while it's nice to welcome people to the board (and a hearty welcome from me as well) I really believe that some of the content of this thread reflects very poorly on the WLDG & you might consider pulling it.

David
I'd disagree with you here and don't think people have said anything they wouldn't say to Squires or Parker should they meet. It's certainly not fallen into the personal abuse that I've read 'somewhere else'. This forum acts with great responsibility on the whole (and even when it isn't, it's done tongue in cheek!). I've great confidence in it's ability to rise above personal abuse.

Where I will empathise, is that such posts can make it uncomfortable for people who post on both sites. The intimation being that one should declare ones loyalties - but I don't believe that is the message being given off here.

EDIT: No qualms of anyone barring Serge (who I think quite enjoys the kudos of being barred anyway :? ). The other banishment I couldn't quite understand, but maybe it's appropriate not to play out the details on this forum.

regards

Ian
Previous